8 week old Blue Laced Red Wyandotte... Hen or Roo??

jbsmommy07

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
I have 3 8 week old blue laced red wyandottes and one in particular looks different from the other 2. "She" has developed really fast and has a nice developing comb and wattle already. Let me know if you guys think I have a cockerel or a pullet? I will post a few pics. The last pic is one of my other BLRW.

Your suspect does indeed look like a cockerel. Redder comb and the darker feathers on the wing suggest it. Wyandottes can be tricky though.

I have 3 8 week old blue laced red wyandottes and one in particular looks different from the other 2. "She" has developed really fast and has a nice developing comb and wattle already. Let me know if you guys think I have a cockerel or a pullet? I will post a few pics. The last pic is one of my other BLRW

. Rooster

Pullet

welcome-byc.gif

Cockerel.

Thanks guys! I think so too! Oddly enough, he/she is one of the sweetest of all my 9 chicks. I will post an updated picture in a couple of weeks. Here is another picture that I took today of him/her beside another one of my blue laced reds(left). Do you think that she is in fact a pullet?

Okay, it has been a few weeks so I thought I would upload a recent photo. He/she is now 12 weeks old this week.

What do you think? Still a roo? I'm not seeing any saddle feathers yet.

He's getting very handsome!

Hackle feathers usually start around 12-14 weeks, so lack of them right now isn't an indicator of gender. You should be able to see the difference in his lacing with your other birds.

Thank you!! Maybe I just don't know what to look for with the lacing. I'm going to show you pics of my other 2.

Him aka 'Tyson'

'Lacey'

'Cutie Pie'

Back
Top Bottom