8 week old Ducklings

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Just picked up five 8 week old ducklings from a lady who unfortunately had to rehome them. They're black Indian Runners.
I was just wondering how much longer they need the heat?
We'll be staying in the low 40s during the day and high 30s at night for the next few weeks.
They will have a heating mat at night if they need it.

8 weeks old they are fully feathered and don’t need heat anymore.
i’d love to see them if you have photos! do you know yet how many of them (?if any) are drakes ?
what kind of set up do you have for them to sleep in?

8 weeks old they are fully feathered and don’t need heat anymore.
i’d love to see them if you have photos! do you know yet how many of them (?if any) are drakes ?
what kind of set up do you have for them to sleep in?
I'm getting photos right now anyway for the lady who rehomed them to me. I'll post them ASAP.
At least 1 is a possible drake.
I also hear at least 1 duck due to the quack.
They're currently outside in a big brooder.

I'm still waiting for photos to upload properly but I definitely hear more quacking from at least 3 of them.
I'll try to get video of them making noise

Let them out to get better lighting. Ignore the mess behind them.

20240105_111016.jpg
20240105_111019.jpg
20240105_111020.jpg

Sadly one passed away during the night. The others were huddled around it on the heating mat this morning when I went to feed them.
Now I'm down to 1 male, 3 females in the bunch.

I let them out to meet the other ducks a few minutes ago and the adults are all scared of them

we are expecting really low temps (low teens to single digits) with the arctic blast coming this week. If it's impacting you, too, you might want to leave your heating setup intact until the cold spell is over, just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom