8 week old GLW is small and limping?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abbeyrokkxz, Aug 8, 2014.

1. abbeyrokkxz

abbeyrokkxz New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    At the start of this summer I got 10 gold laced wyandotte new hatch chicks(They are all supposed to be pullets). One of them did not make it through the first week, so now I have nine. They have all been growing and getting their feathers at about the same rate up until about week 7. Then one of them stopped growing. A few days later she started limping. It is week eight now and she is about half the size of all the other chickens, and she limps very badly on one of her feet. I can tell it hurts her to stand on it. I don't think she broke it an she doesn't act like it hurts her when I touch her feet. I put her in a small cage away from the others with some aspen shavings on the ground an gave her a small feeder with some "medicated" antibiotic feed, and a small waterer with some electrolyte powder in the water a couple days after I noticed her limp. I am worried she will not make it. I checked her for cuts and growths on her feet but they seem fine. Is there any reason that her foot might have stopped her from growing?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your chick, X2 on post in the Emergencies forum about her, if you can post pictures that might help figure out what is going on.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Her foot wouldn't stop her from growing but, limping is often a first sign of Marek's disease. You may want to check out threads on Marek's and see if she shows other symptoms.
    Do post in the emergencies thread in as much detail as possible. Hopefully she doesn't have Mareks .

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely post this in our emergency section. I hope she is going to be ok. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by