8 wk. old Ameraucana not able to stand..Please help!!!!

Gretel12

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Louisville, KY
I have a hen that is 8wks. old. She was the smallest of the "litter". I've raised them in a large dog crate with pine shaving for the bedding and on chick starter (medicated).
Last week I came home to her dragging her foot, then both feet. So I separated her from the other 4 and put her in a smaller crate and taped her legs about 1 1/2 inches apart with steri-strips. (bandage tape). She seemed better and after 4 days took them off and she seemed fine. I put her back in with the others yesterday and this morning:idunno I found her on her back and not able to right herself.. Just lays on her back. When I put her back up near the food and water she gobbles and pecks hard at the crumbles...Poop seems normal... any ideas? I don't know if one stepped on her and broke something or a wing..UGG!!!! Thanks for reading this!!!

Sounds like a possible vitamin deficiency. Go to the pharmacy (walmart also) and get Poly Vi Sol liquid baby vitamin WITHOUT iron. Give her 2 drops by beak in the morning and again at night. Put each drop on the top/side of her beak so the drops can slowly run into her beak and she can swallow then. Don't force her or she will get it in her lungs. Do this for at least 2 weeks. If she recovers it could mean that the vitamins added to your feed are not active anymore and you should throw them out and get a fresh bag.

Back
Top Bottom