8 year old hen having difficulty swallowing

Her digestion may be slowing due to whatever is going on inside, the ascites is a symptom of something else going on, a cancer, infection, organ failure etc. It's often very hard to know for sure until they pass and a necropsy is done. Sometimes things will show up on x rays or on ultra sound, but not always. Once a bird develops ascites it's usually a slow deterioration from then on. She may be drinking excessive water in an attempt to help move things along in her digestive tract. It's hard to say. 8 years is a very good age for a hen, some live longer, but many never make it to that age. I'm so sorry, when you love them, you love them, and it's hard to say goodbye. But sometimes that's a kindness. Only you can say when it's time for that.

Thank you for your input.
I’m planning on a vet trip on Wednesday so I am looking for advise on what to have them look at/test for, if anyone has any input.
I will add that it seems like she is starting a second molt. She already molted this year but she has slowly been losing feathers that have the base to them, as in the feathers are growing out.

I have been researching squamous cell carcinoma. She does not have the massive bump with an ugly scab on it but could this be what it is?

So I have been watching her and I am starting her on acidified copper sulfate today. 1/4 tsp copper with 2 tsp apple cider vinegar to one gallon water.
I want to make sure that there is no 'growth' in her mouth that can be treated with it.

Is there any reaction or danger to using this? If she does have cancer in her mouth, will this help somehow?
Or could it also weaken her more?

ACS will not treat nor cure any types of cancer. It will eliminate good and bad bacteria, certain types of protozoa, and fungal issues in time. After using ACS, I recommend giving your bird probiotics to build up good bacteria, and her immune system.

So I have been watching her and I am starting her on acidified copper sulfate today. 1/4 tsp copper with 2 tsp apple cider vinegar to one gallon water.
I want to make sure that there is no 'growth' in her mouth that can be treated with it.

Is there any reaction or danger to using this? If she does have cancer in her mouth, will this help somehow?
Or could it also weaken her more?
As @dawg53 mentioned, ACS will not treat cancer.
You've used ACS before with I think both Eddie and Dev, did you have any issues back then when you used it?

Hi everyone,
I gave Dev the copper in her water for 4 days. I really saw no improvement. She perked up in the first two days but that was it. No change in her mouth bump. Her swallowing did not improve.
Yesterday she went downhill fairly quickly. She could not even eat more than half of her watermelon piece. She had to stop and gasp to breath and shake her head to dislodge saliva and watermelon.
We went to the vets today. This vet was actually helpful. She looked at her mouth bump and said it felt like a tumor and with how fast this bump grew, most likely cancer. I noticed the bump in January/February this year. I'm sure it was there before and I might not have noticed but it still grew pretty quickly.
As far as treatment, I am not putting her through surgery so there is not much to do. We did discuss doing a fine needle aspiration to see if she can pull anything out to test for. That way we know for sure what is going on.

Dev is not doing well so I am not sure if it is worth it at this point. She prescribed metacam and trimethoprim sulfa. Any input or comments?

Hi everyone,
I gave Dev the copper in her water for 4 days. I really saw no improvement. She perked up in the first two days but that was it. No change in her mouth bump. Her swallowing did not improve.
Yesterday she went downhill fairly quickly. She could not even eat more than half of her watermelon piece. She had to stop and gasp to breath and shake her head to dislodge saliva and watermelon.
We went to the vets today. This vet was actually helpful. She looked at her mouth bump and said it felt like a tumor and with how fast this bump grew, most likely cancer. I noticed the bump in January/February this year. I'm sure it was there before and I might not have noticed but it still grew pretty quickly.
As far as treatment, I am not putting her through surgery so there is not much to do. We did discuss doing a fine needle aspiration to see if she can pull anything out to test for. That way we know for sure what is going on.

Dev is not doing well so I am not sure if it is worth it at this point. She prescribed metacam and trimethoprim sulfa. Any input or comments?
Reposting what we discussed in pm.

I'm sorry about Dev:hugs

I saw the thread. Sounds like the Vet had a good grasp of what was going on, so I'd just assume that the lump is cancer as previously suggested.

I'd see how she does over the next few days with supportive care but if she's going downhill rapidly, then I'd consider how much more intervention/medication(s) really need to be given to try to keep her going or if it's just time to let her go.

Back
Top Bottom