8 yo hen -- sick or end of life?

gracieracer

Songster
13 Years
Oct 6, 2008
Indianapolis
My 8 yo EE hen, Big Red, has stopped eating and drinking from what I can tell. Poop was stuck and covering her back end a few days ago so I cleaned her up. She was a bit lethargic but would eat mealworms and fruit.

The poop is back and now she will hardly move. She's still responsive to me, but won't eat. She picked at a few kernels of corn this morning, but ignored oatmeal and fruit.

Lost a hen about a month with similar symptoms, but she was only 3yo.

My other chickens are all fine.

Thoughts on my old girl? I hate to put her through the stress of another bath if it's her time. She's had a really good life.

Thanks for any ideas.

Kathy

I've never had a hen that long before, but to me it sounds like she's nearing the end. You probably can take a warm wet face cloth or paper towel and clean off her back end and get her as comfortable as you can. Sorry about hearing this. EEs are the best and she sounds like a really great hen. :hugs :hugs :hugs

As far as you 3-year-old, that could of been water belly. I've lost two hens at that age to water belly. Don't worry, water belly isn't spreadable, though it can sometimes be genetic. Sorry about your other loss... :hugs:hugs

You might just pull off any dried poop and trim any feathers stuck to her vent, just to make sure that she can poop. My hens are all 8-9 years old and I have lost a couple of older birds last year. I would try to make her comfortable, and make water and food easy for her to reach. A basket on the floor or a dog crate with bedding would be a good place for her. Other chickens may attack her if she is dying, so keep her separated unless you don’t think that is a possibility. I would consider putting her down if ahe seems to be suffering at any time. But it just may be her time.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your hen. The longest I had one was 7.5years. She was old and slow but still liked to lay in the sun and hang with the others so I just let her be. Then she just dropped dead one day.

You could trim her feathers away from her vent so she's not as messy.

Sadly it sounds like it's her time. If she does not want to eat, don't force her to, let her go out her way. Make sure she has food / water available but don't force it.

Just to be sure, of course, wash your hands VERY well when between her and the others, so if there is some bugaboo, you are not inadvertently passing it around.

WHen I have had to put down a cockatiel a few years ago, A box / large kettle-pot and some CO2 from a cylinder to power a beer kegger made it very quick and painless.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom