$80 to put a chicken down?

Pics
I recently had to put my chicken down. She was suffering had only a few hours left In her. She couldn't stand and was breathing shallow for a few hours. She just wouldn't die on her own. I just got my bill today. I though 80 dollars to put a half dead chicken down was a little steep. What do you think?
These are still medical professionals with many years of education behind them. There are charges for basic office calls, emergency office calls and related charges for procedures. It is to be expected or . . . learn to humanely euthanize your own birds

I recently had to put my chicken down. She was suffering had only a few hours left In her. She couldn't stand and was breathing shallow for a few hours. She just wouldn't die on her own. I just got my bill today. I though 80 dollars to put a half dead chicken down was a little steep. What do you think?
I just paid $700. Yes: insane: but she was a pet, and I had accidentally let the dogs get her and she was torn apart but still alive and suffering terribly. I was blubbering like a baby in my guilt and her suffering and they knew they could charge nearly anything and I’d pay it… and did. They’re criminal sociopaths.

I just paid $700. Yes: insane: but she was a pet, and I had accidentally let the dogs get her and she was torn apart but still alive and suffering terribly. I was blubbering like a baby in my guilt and her suffering and they knew they could charge nearly anything and I’d pay it… and did. They’re criminal sociopaths.
Criminal sociopaths? Really? Because of what one vet charged you? I am sorry this one vet charged you so much for this euthanasia but painting them all with such a wide brush is unfair at best.

Vets are medical doctors who make a fraction of the money physicians make.

Honestly this kind of comment is why vets are at high risk of suicide compared with other fields. And it’s likely the reason you don’t have a lot of vets on this forum.

Criminal sociopaths? Really? Because of what one vet charged you? I am sorry this one vet charged you so much for this euthanasia but painting them all with such a wide brush is unfair at best.

Honestly this kind of comment is why vets are at high risk of suicide compared with other fields. And it’s likely the reason you don’t have a lot of vets on this forum.

Well I did not paint “them all” with any wide brush. I specified this particular vet. I’ve encountered many fantastic vets, actually most are great.

I agree that “criminal” is not accurate except in colloquial terms. Perhaps obscene or outrageous might be more fitting.

I do believe sociopaths fits in that they refused to put this creature out of its pain until I borrowed and paid their entire demanded $700. To let her suffer with literally half of her body ripped off and her organs and beating heart hanging out is a heartless sociopathic response. They refused to end her suffering until I got on the phone and found someone to loan me $700 to euthanize a dying chicken. I was willing to pay whatever they demanded, and did, to end her suffering.These people, whose entire purpose is helping and minimizing the pain of animals just stood there and refused to help her till they had extracted $700 from me. The point is not really even the amount but that they refused to proceed until they were sure they got the demanded money. That is just evil.

And what if I could not pay? They would have been out a few dollars for enough phenobarbital to kill a 2 pound half dead chicken, 30 seconds to look and assess that half of her was missing, and 5 more minutes to gather the euthanasia med and stick a needle in her. That seems an incredibly minor imposition to put this animal out if it’s agony.

And seriously: suicide? Over a mean revue?
Any real sociopaths by definition would not care about other’s opinions of them, and non-sociopaths would act more humanely.

Again not really even about their absurd, outrageous, and obscene extortion, but about their clear willingness to use the animals suffering and my guilt and distress as leverage to extract it. That is just evil.

Well I did not paint “them all” with any wide brush. I specified this particular vet. I’ve encountered many fantastic vets, actually most are great.

I agree that “criminal” is not accurate except in colloquial terms. Perhaps obscene or outrageous might be more fitting.

I do believe sociopaths fits in that they refused to put this creature out of its pain until I borrowed and paid their entire demanded $700. To let her suffer with literally half of her body ripped off and her organs and beating heart hanging out is a heartless sociopathic response. They refused to end her suffering until I got on the phone and found someone to loan me $700 to euthanize a dying chicken. I was willing to pay whatever they demanded, and did, to end her suffering.These people, whose entire purpose is helping and minimizing the pain of animals just stood there and refused to help her till they had extracted $700 from me. The point is not really even the amount but that they refused to proceed until they were sure they got the demanded money. That is just evil.

And what if I could not pay? They would have been out a few dollars for enough phenobarbital to kill a 2 pound half dead chicken, 30 seconds to look and assess that half of her was missing, and 5 more minutes to gather the euthanasia med and stick a needle in her. That seems an incredibly minor imposition to put this animal out if it’s agony.

Any real sociopaths by definition would not care about other’s opinions of them, and non-sociopaths would act more humanely.

Again not really even about their absurd, outrageous, and obscene extortion, but about their clear willingness to use the animals suffering and my guilt and distress as leverage to extract it. That is just evil.

Are you guys aware this thread is about 5 years old?

Not involved but just want to say however right you might be this is a very cruel way to word it.
You don’t know how many hate comments they’re getting and that one might be the one to tip them over.
Never assume your the first or it doesn’t affect them, that one can be THE one to sadden them severely.

Not involved but just want to say however right you might be this is a very cruel way to word it.
You don’t know how many hate comments they’re getting and that one might be the one to tip them over.
Never assume your the first or it doesn’t affect them, that one can be THE one to sadden them severely.
Uh no, if you look at their reviews on their website their responses are universally arrogant,
snarky, and simply unwilling to accept any criticism or responsibility. And there are a significant amount of complaints.
The label of “hate comments” is simply an ad hominem attack to delegitimize complaints without addressing the merits of those complaints.

I’ve seen no evidence that these are poor picked-in animal doctors. Everything on their review and responses and my own experience shows simply a clinic pretending to care but in reality simply extorting as much money as they can leveraging people’s actual concern for the pets in their care.

Uh no, if you look at their reviews on their website their responses are universally arrogant,
snarky, and simply unwilling to accept any criticism or responsibility. And there are a significant amount of complaints.
The label of “hate comments” is simply an ad hominem attack to delegitimize complaints without addressing the merits of those complaints.

I’ve seen no evidence that these are poor picked-in animal doctors. Everything on their review and responses and my own experience shows simply a clinic pretending to care but in reality simply extorting as much money as they can leveraging people’s actual concern for the pets in their care.
You are not understanding what im saying.
Like i previously stated, i don’t care who is right, i don’t care if they are horrible. But you saying one mean comment doesn’t matter and if they take it seriously it’s ridiculous? That makes no sense and that’s a horrible thing to say to anyone.

Last edited:

Then why did you go to that vet?

Just FYI - I just dropped $800 one of my ducks last week, and I've spent over $1k on one of my chickens. Very reputable vets. Vets are just expensive, even if they aren't sociopathic.

Back
Top Bottom