85 watt red floodlight

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gjoyner, Nov 19, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

hey. I have a small enough coop for three chickens...they keep themselve pretty warm with body heat..but I just bought a red 85 watt flood light for when it gets really super cold.
    I could not find a regular red light under 250 watts..adn above 25 watts.
    Waht is the difference between a regular light and a flood light?
    will a flood light give off more heat than a regular light?

2. Georgiapea

Georgiapea Out Of The Brooder

I don't know. What I did was go to a pet store and buy a herp light and the one I selected was 150w. It works really well in my makeshift bathtub brooder.

3. dickies chics

dickies chics Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Baldwinville MA
    a flood light is designed to throw the light further than a regular light bulb. it will work just fine.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:The back half of it is mirrored/shaped as a reflector, so the light goes more just in front of the bulb instead of in all directions.

will a flood light give off more heat than a regular light?

Nope. Any lightbulb will give off heat in proportion to its wattage (that's actual watts-consumed wattage, not cfl or led "as bright as X watts" numbers). From the perspective of heating the space as a whole, it really does not matter significantly whether it is a heat lamp, red regular bulb, other color regular bulb, plain ol white bulb, whatever - if you care about heating, just go by the wattage.

There are LOTS of intermediate-wattage red lightbulbs manufactured, though -- try different stores, and you do have to *thoroughly* search the lightbulb display for them. I have built up a full collection of all different wattages of red bulbs (I think it is like 40, 60, 100, 125, 175, 250) to minimize how much electricity I'm using in the brooder [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Yeh!,[​IMG] I got an answer to a question I did not have to ask. I saw a bunch of red flood lights today at Lowes in their Christmas display and wondered if they would work for heat. Although I have a larger coop the 250 just gave off to much for my liking. Thanks all gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by