8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

idunno.gif

Candled mine before lockdown. I didn't see any movement, at all. Put them in cut out egg cartons. Now I'm concerned the eggs got x-rayed.
They were doing good when I replaced the humidity pump. I candled them then. I so wish I could have had local fresh fertile eggs.

Hoping for a few healthy chicks. My favorite Roo - Joey is lonely, I so need a few hens for him.

Hi,

I've been visiting this site and reading the forums on and off for about 18 months now. I tried to sign up on my iPad but had no joy so I finally jumped on the PC tonight.

Anywho, I currently have 5 RIR x Gold Laced Wyandotte hens. One of them currently has six 3 week old mystery X breed chicks.

Another one of my hens went broody so I purchased a dozen Light Sussex eggs and placed them under her on 11th December so they're due to hatch on or about NYD. So far she hasn't thrown any of the eggs out of the nest like my previous brrody did so eventhough I won't count them before they hatch I'm hopeful of high hatch rate. On the down side it's mid summer here and in the last week we've had temperatures in the mid to high 30s (around 95-100 F). I have placed a wet towel over her nesting box in an effort to keep her and the eggs a little cooler.

It would appear that most people are using an incubator for this hatch-a-long and I'm wondering who else is using a broody hen at the moment.

Mark
in Australia

Hi,

I've been visiting this site and reading the forums on and off for about 18 months now.  I tried to sign up on my iPad but had no joy so I finally jumped on the PC tonight.

Anywho, I currently have 5 RIR x Gold Laced Wyandotte hens.  One of them currently has six 3 week old mystery X breed chicks.  

Another one of my hens went broody so I purchased a dozen Light Sussex eggs and placed them under her on 11th December so they're due to hatch on or about NYD.  So far she hasn't thrown any of the eggs out of the nest like my previous brrody did so eventhough I won't count them before they hatch I'm hopeful of high hatch rate.  On the down side it's mid summer here and in the last week we've had temperatures in the mid to high 30s (around 95-100 F).  I have placed a wet towel over her nesting box in an effort to keep her and the eggs a little cooler.

It would appear that most people are using an incubator for this hatch-a-long and I'm wondering who else is using a broody hen at the moment.

Mark
in Australia

:welcome

Nice! Welcome to BYC now that you're finally registered :p please post Pics when they hatch! or even pip lol and I'm sure the eggs will be fine under the broody :)

It's too cold out for me to reliably hatch with a hen right now. I do have a broody who is getting the chicks that hatch though.

Sure wish I had a broody hen!

Can anyone suggest humidity settings for an Rcom 20 for lockdown?
Found my notes on my very first hatch, and they hatched on day 22 with temp at 99.5. Next hatch
will definitely be set at 100. And I already know, (unstable) low humidity is an issue during the first week of development. Had to replace the humidity pump.

Hi,

I've been visiting this site and reading the forums on and off for about 18 months now. I tried to sign up on my iPad but had no joy so I finally jumped on the PC tonight.

Anywho, I currently have 5 RIR x Gold Laced Wyandotte hens. One of them currently has six 3 week old mystery X breed chicks.

Another one of my hens went broody so I purchased a dozen Light Sussex eggs and placed them under her on 11th December so they're due to hatch on or about NYD. So far she hasn't thrown any of the eggs out of the nest like my previous brrody did so eventhough I won't count them before they hatch I'm hopeful of high hatch rate. On the down side it's mid summer here and in the last week we've had temperatures in the mid to high 30s (around 95-100 F). I have placed a wet towel over her nesting box in an effort to keep her and the eggs a little cooler.

Mark
in Australia
welcome-byc.gif

Hi Mark, it's nice to have you here! You might enjoy dropping in on the Aussie thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

One of my friends here on BYC is @Teila and she's mentioned several times how hot your summer has been.

Good luck with your broody!

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been visiting this site and reading the forums on and off for about 18 months now.  I tried to sign up on my iPad but had no joy so I finally jumped on the PC tonight.

Anywho, I currently have 5 RIR x Gold Laced Wyandotte hens.  One of them currently has six 3 week old mystery X breed chicks.  

Another one of my hens went broody so I purchased a dozen Light Sussex eggs and placed them under her on 11th December so they're due to hatch on or about NYD.  So far she hasn't thrown any of the eggs out of the nest like my previous brrody did so eventhough I won't count them before they hatch I'm hopeful of high hatch rate.  On the down side it's mid summer here and in the last week we've had temperatures in the mid to high 30s (around 95-100 F).  I have placed a wet towel over her nesting box in an effort to keep her and the eggs a little cooler.

Mark
in Australia

I have been following this thread, but no chicks coming NYD. I had some that would have been hatching right now, but there was a game of "musical nestbox" that ended up with 15 eggs being left to freeze 4 days before hatching. Now I have 3 broody hens, each with 12 eggs, hatching in January.

I have been following this thread, but no chicks coming NYD. I had some that would have been hatching right now, but there was a game of "musical nestbox" that ended up with 15 eggs being left to freeze 4 days before hatching. Now I have 3 broody hens, each with 12 eggs, hatching in January.

Best wishes for a good hatch!

Thanks for all your kind responses.

I've had a number of locals tell me that they never set hens in mid-summer. Oh well, you live and learn.

I ended up hatching 6 chicks 3 weeks ago and will post pics in the morning (Australian time). I acquired a dozen fertile eggs of unknown X breed parentage. I dropped one egg while placing them under the hen (doh!) and she ate a couple (I'm guessing they stopped developing). Seven eggs hatched but one chick was weak and only lived a couple of days.

It will be interesting to see how many of the Light Sussex eggs hatch. They were considerably more expensive than the X breed mystery eggs but they're a breed I'd like to include in my flock. Eventually I'd like to have all purebreds and an all black and white flock. Over time I hope to add Barred Plymouth Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Araucana, Black Australorp and White Leghorn.

Having raised (but not hatched) chicks before I've decided it is MUCH easier to let a hen do all the work than messing around with heat lamps, etc.

Back
Top Bottom