8x10 shed being converted--need ideas

slickchick

Songster
13 Years
Jul 2, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
I will be converting an 8x10 wooden shed to a coop.....Does anyone have pictures inside their shed/coop that I could see to get some references? How many chickens do you think this space can occupy? lol....I have about 30 eggs on the way to the bator!!! I already have 7 hens now....Thanks for any input and pics you can show me!!

I don't have any pictures but DH used an 8 x 10 shed to make his first coop. He did put in a floor to keep predators out and cut awindow and pop door leading into a covered run. On one wall he built 6 stacked nest boxes three across. On another wall he built a wide ladder type perch for them to sleep on. It is 3 feet across and has 5 steps. I don't know for sure but he had a total of 20 chickens in there. They were Americanas, speckled sussex,and sex links. We had a terrible tiime with feather picking. I think they were too crowded. I finally got to the point where I told him to let them freerange during the daytime. It has stopped the feather picking so far. His rooster is finally getting his tail back lol.You may want to check with others for their opinions but 37 chickens in that sized coop sounds like alot. Hope this helps Micki

Back
Top Bottom