8x4 FT for 10 chickens?

GimmeCake

Songster
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I got 6 pullets, which this november a place near me is going to have another chicken season and I'm going to by 2 more pullets and 2 cockerals (for protection).

Due to the fact the plywood I can get comes in 8x4 FT and pricing, I can only get a 8x4 ft coop. I was wondering if this is big enough for 10 chickens? It's also going to be 4FT tall, so if I added maybe a 4x2 FT platform, would that help?

Also, as a side question, what height of fence do I need to keep out keyoteos and keep in the chickens?

That sounds a bit snug for 10 chickens (especially adding two cockerels to the mix). One cockerel would be sufficient for that number of hens. As far as fencing, it depends upon your situation. Will it be for a run or is it referencing a yard, lawn, or acreage? Do you have raptors such as hawks or eagles besides the coyotes? Do you have standard or bantam birds? If you have standard birds, a 6 ft. fence should keep them in when they are mature (weight). All bets are off with bantams. Some breeds of bantams can fly quite well. If you have aerial predators, I would suggest covering the run (if indeed the fence is for a run). If you are referencing the "yard" then I would also suggest at least a 6 ft. fence. A cockerel will be of great benefit to a free-ranging flock, along with adequate places of cover. -best of luck on your construction!!

I keep close to 25 chickens in a 6x6 which is the same square footage as yours. They have access to a huge run all year round but in the winter they primarily stay inside, But anyway they are fine. I give them plenty of activities and treats so they never fight, and with the deep litter method the coop stays clean and cozy. I think that that will be plenty of room for all your chickens. Also I would strongly suggest you NOT get more than one rooster. They will fight and one will kill the other it might take them a year or more to do it but it will happen, Trust me. They are OK protectors but not the best. I have lost chickens to raccoons and the rooster just watched.

As far as fence goes at least 4 feet. But i think you should consider an enclosed run. Go with a 5 foot high fence and then put a strong netting over the top. It will keep out birds and raccoons, coyotes are not as big a concern for me cause they are enclosed in there run and coop at night and the simple fence keeps them away. But over the last few years i have lost chickens to them darn raccoons. I think that is your biggest concern. I know you have raccoons, everyone dose. They just haven't tried to go after your chickens yet but they will. They are smart, mean, crazy little critters and they must be dealt with accordingly. You will be struck by chicken math at some point and time so i suggest you invest now in a nice size run and enjoy your chickens. Watch out for raccoons.

That is the exact same size as my coop. I have kept as many as 15 birds in my coop with no issues and that is confined in winter with no excess to the run. I have 3 levels in my coop and I have Golden Comet hens that were all raised together in one flock.
Works for me I know it is against the rule of thumb.

My chicken coop is the metal barn to the left in this next picture.

Here is a picture of my Delaware rooster (I just have the one rooster however.)

I think one of your rooster will have to go maybe not right away if they are young but definitely eventually is my best guess.

What do you mean "one of your rooster will have to go"?

I thought I read you were going to try and keep two roosters in the same flock. That leads to one killing the other in the most extreme cases (there are exceptions).

Good luck with that.

Last edited:
My coop is an 8x4 not counting the run and I have 10 chickens in there and have had up to 15 with no problems. In the winter even if they don't go outside, not all of the chickens stay down on the floor. Quite a few stay up on the roosts and is why I don't have a problem.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom