8x6 coop for 16 chickens?

ZiaEggcelente

Chirping
Mar 17, 2023
New Mexico
I have 16 exactly. Is 8x6 an acceptable coop size? I don’t plan to grow but.. it does put me right at max. I have acreage but need to provide a run as well. Suggestions welcome

Run size and coop size are related when it comes to capacity of your flock.

If you have a large coop and small run, your chickens will still be miserable. But if you have a decent size coop like an 8x6 combined with a large run or free ranging, you can get away with more birds.

If you had an 8x6 coop, depending on how it’s laid out, their could be three 8 foot roosts.. that’s 24 feet of roosting space. 8x6 is 48 sq ft, if using the 3 sq ft per bird rule, it’s not crazy to say there’s enough space for 16 birds.

8x8 would be better if you can, that's 4sq feet a bird, which is better unless you live someplace really temperate
Ok great advice I was thinking about 8x8 but wasn’t sure if it would be too deep to clean out? This is my first year with chicks so I’m starting ground up and want to do it right and also affordable. I bought two plans thinking about taking aspects of both to build. Considering ventilation etc. thank you!
Run size and coop size are related when it comes to capacity of your flock.

If you have a large coop and small run, your chickens will still be miserable. But if you have a decent size coop like an 8x6 combined with a large run or free ranging, you can get away with more birds.

If you had an 8x6 coop, depending on how it’s laid out, their could be three 8 foot roosts.. that’s 24 feet of roosting space. 8x6 is 48 sq ft, if using the 3 sq ft per bird rule, it’s not crazy to say there’s enough space for 16 birds.
this is helpful. I will go 8x8 to be safe. When planning the run, does 8x20 sound reasonably sized? We will free range when home only. It’s a predator heavy area and I am building a new house on the lot as well so there’s some familiarity I just won’t have until move in (April 10). Chicks are 2 weeks. We don’t have a perimeter fence in the 5 acre lot yet.

I was thinking about 8x8 but wasn’t sure if it would be too deep to clean out?
Make the coop so you can walk into it, for a variety of reasons including cleaning.

We will free range when home only. It’s a predator heavy area
Just because you are home, even out in the yard, doesn't mean predators won't get them.

That's about 3 sf of space each without room for food/water or nesting (depending on build). Your climate will make the most difference here. I am at maximum perching space (if not over) and have plenty of nesting but next to no floor space for all intents and purposes. I get away with this because my climate allows for just providing a covered area in the run adjacent to the coop and that they'll never need to be confined to the coop.

In the coop we always here 4 sq per bird which is fine, buuutt how many of us deduct sq footage for feeder, waterer, nesting boxes or roosting area? Roost area may not be all that important. Like my granddad told me when I bought my first boat, "figure out what length you want then add 2 feet".

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

8x6 is pushing the numbers very hard, especially if you're going to have anything inside the coop. 8x8 would be better and also easier to build with fewer cuts and less waste because building materials come in multiples of 4 feet. :)

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
IF you live in a climate where the chickens will have year-round access to a generous run from dawn to dusk without fail, you can probably skimp on the coop size without serious issues.

But if you live in a climate where their access to the run will be restricted by snow, high wind, etc. then you need more space in the coop.

Here's an excellent article on chickens' space needs that goes well beyond the generic numbers: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

Back
Top Bottom