8x6 coop for 16 chickens?

Any hole I cut is going to let some sun in, because the sun's everywhere, here. This is what I have set in stone for now as far as what I'm going to cut for ventilation, and what I hope the air will do.

That's a good start.

Have you read the two articles linked in my signature? On ventilation and hot climate care?

I see a lot of three sided structures for sheep, goats, with the opening facing away from prevailing winds. I think that could work, but yeah, wind is the main issue here, haha.

A 3-sided shelter is excellent for a warm climate.

It's excellent for chickens in general -- a Woods Coop is a 3-sided shelter adapted for temperate and cold climates. :)

That's a good start.

Have you read the two articles linked in my signature? On ventilation and hot climate care?

A 3-sided shelter is excellent for a warm climate.

It's excellent for chickens in general -- a Woods Coop is a 3-sided shelter adapted for temperate and cold climates. :)
Yep, I've read both, and probably a lot more. Thanks for writing them and making those cute illustrations! I've just been reading as much as I can about this. I'm thinking I'm going to take off some full panels off the shed on the wind-sheltered side and replace it with hardware cloth. But I think I'll also include that shade screen stuff to get the benefits of shade as well.

Yep, I've read both, and probably a lot more. Thanks for writing them and making those cute illustrations! I've just been reading as much as I can about this. I'm thinking I'm going to take off some full panels off the shed on the wind-sheltered side and replace it with hardware cloth. But I think I'll also include that shade screen stuff to get the benefits of shade as well.

That sounds great!

I got a little confused on what you meant by this, because I'm working with a shed that already exists. So, I am cutting holes in it, because it's already there, and building a new coop is not currently a possibility. But I get what you mean, now. If / when I upgrade to a not-shed coop, I'll keep that in mind for sure.

This is what my land looks like, so there's just no deep shade at all, for now. So, I have to create it.
View attachment 3441362

Any hole I cut is going to let some sun in, because the sun's everywhere, here. This is what I have set in stone for now as far as what I'm going to cut for ventilation, and what I hope the air will do.

View attachment 3441382

Yeah no kidding. This was last month here.
View attachment 3441365

I see a lot of three sided structures for sheep, goats, with the opening facing away from prevailing winds. I think that could work, but yeah, wind is the main issue here, haha.
Where are you located. Looks slightly similar to my area

Back
Top Bottom