8x8 coop or 10x12 coop?

Pics
Aug 30, 2020
I got chickens this year right at the end of spring.
It was a trial and I bought used pre fab 4x8 coop-sleeping area is 4x4

attached is a 10x10 run covered with tarps and it just looks tacky and I want to do it up nice. Turns out we love chickens and the eggs they produce. So we’re looking for a more permanent option.

I am looking to purchase a shed(new) and convert it into a coop. I walked into an 8x8 and thought wow this is big but I feel like it’ll fill up fast.

ideally I’d like a 10x12 I have all the room I need to put it where ever I want. Either set up I’m thinking about a 10x20 or a 10x30 run. Obviously for simplicity the 10x12 shed would work best.

I am looking to Go from my 13 chickens now to roughly 30-40 chickens. What do you guys think I should do?

Well, you'd have enough coop space for 30-40 chickens if I'm correct, and you might want a 10x35 run. The 10x30 run could hold up to 37ish chickens, once again, if I'm correct.

I got chickens this year right at the end of spring.
It was a trial and I bought used pre fab 4x8 coop-sleeping area is 4x4

attached is a 10x10 run covered with tarps and it just looks tacky and I want to do it up nice. Turns out we love chickens and the eggs they produce. So we’re looking for a more permanent option.

I am looking to purchase a shed(new) and convert it into a coop. I walked into an 8x8 and thought wow this is big but I feel like it’ll fill up fast.

ideally I’d like a 10x12 I have all the room I need to put it where ever I want. Either set up I’m thinking about a 10x20 or a 10x30 run. Obviously for simplicity the 10x12 shed would work best.

I am looking to Go from my 13 chickens now to roughly 30-40 chickens. What do you guys think I should do?

I'm a very new chicken mom (since September!) but converted a 12x12 barn/shed into a coop for my 8. I'd say go big.. the 12x12 feels close to full to me when I'm in there with the kiddos (chickens) and their gear and toys....

A 10x12 is enough space for 30 chickens IF nest boxes, feed and water do not take up floor space. A 10x30 run is enough for 30 chickens.

Definitely go with the bigger coop and run.

I read in your other thread that you have 14 currently. Maybe increase numbers by adding just 6 AFTER you have the big coop and run set up and see how it feels.

Looks like I’ll be needing the 10x12!

I never kept the food and water inside my coop. It’s always been out in my current run. I never actually close the coop at night and have seen my chickens out in their run sleeping on the roosting bars at any given time at night.

I think with the 10x12 I can put a lot of nesting boxes in it probably 1 per chicken along with roosting bars. Some of my chickens get lazy and just sleep in their current nesting boxes now.

I want to give them as much room to roam around and stuff. Free range is an option but with my kids and dog outside with them it’s a lot to keep an eye on everything and I worry about hawks, bob cats, foxes, and coyotes. So I feel with the larger coop and run I can just let them do their own thing with little worry

Looks like I’ll be needing the 10x12!

I never kept the food and water inside my coop. It’s always been out in my current run. I never actually close the coop at night and have seen my chickens out in their run sleeping on the roosting bars at any given time at night.

I think with the 10x12 I can put a lot of nesting boxes in it probably 1 per chicken along with roosting bars. Some of my chickens get lazy and just sleep in their current nesting boxes now.

I want to give them as much room to roam around and stuff. Free range is an option but with my kids and dog outside with them it’s a lot to keep an eye on everything and I worry about hawks, bob cats, foxes, and coyotes. So I feel with the larger coop and run I can just let them do their own thing with little worry

You're having birds sleeping in nests and the run because your current coop is WAY to small to house them all.

You only need one nest per every 4-5 birds. if you build 1 nest per bird it is a waste of time and effort. They will still share nests. Trying to save you some work there.

Back
Top Bottom