9 Chicks ganging up on 1 chick

snixter3

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 17, 2009
The other night, my husband was awaken by screeching ( I was on vacation) when he went to see what was going on, he said 1 chick had a feather in it's mouth and they were all huddled around one of the other chicks, She was bleeding and missing several feathers. About the size of a dime. He seperated them, the hurt chick has been in confinement since then and seems to be doing fine. My question is, when will it be safe to put her back in with the others? I am getting ready to put them in the hen house tonight, they are 3-1/2 weeks old and are out growing their brooder very fast. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Keep her until the wound is all healed up so they won't peck at her anymore. I'd wait a week or two to make sure she is nice and strong. I'm no expert though...

You may want to keep an eye on that situation. If they are already ganging up on one chick, they may have sensed some kind of illness/weakness and are rejecting her from the group. Crowding can also cause this, and once it starts picking is very hard to stop.

BTW, what breed are these? Some breeds are more aggressive/high-strung than others.

You might try putting all the chicks out but the injured one plus one other who might not pick on her. Then when she is all healed she won't have to rejoin the others alone.

Good luck!

I'm thinking red bulb...
hmm.png

I would try putting one chick at a time back in with her. Because if you put her back in by herself they may do it again. Plus if you can get at least a couple to be able to be with her alone, maybe she will have help with the group. I would let her heal first. I hope all goes well!
smile.png
fl.gif

I agree with the red buld also!

Last edited:
The red bulb is on my list!! I will be getting it tomorrow. I did put 1 chick in with her earlier today, they seem to be fine. I have a variety of chicks. 2 each- Brahams, Road Island Red, New Jersey Giants, Astolorp and Wyandott, she is a wyandott. I put a red in with her, they seem to be sweeter birds. Thanks for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom