9 month old Buff Orpingron not laying eggs

I checked her and I don't believe she is mature yet. She must be a late bloomer!
Happy New Year! Shellyict, sorry I haven't responded in awhile, but I wanted to check in with you since we have similar concerns about our BO's not laying. My BO finally laid her first egg at 35 weeks. No problems, and she is now laying large eggs regularly. I've also noticed that, since she began laying, she seems to have risen in the pecking order a bit and looks to be a bit more assertive. I'm a new chickenkeeper so I'm not sure if being an official "layer" gives you more street credibility in the flock!

I have one Buff Orpington hen who is 9 months old that is not laying eggs. All the other hens we have that are the same age are laying. Is it possible that a hen will just not lay eggs?
Say we have 4 buff Orpingtons that hatched mid March 2020. They started laying the first week of august not all at first but eventually all started laying. We were getting 7 eggs every 2 days. Since winter set in we always get 1 egg. If we have some sunny days we will get 3 eggs for that day we had one go broody till winter came and she has changed. I believe she is the one we can count on to give us an egg on any day no matter the weather.

Back
Top Bottom