9 month old Buff Orpingron not laying eggs

She may be laying elsewhere if she free ranges. It's not uncommon for them to make nests in other places. Most of my buff Orpingtons have started at 5-7 months of age.
My BO is one of six - different breeds. They've all been together since 2 days post-hatching. Now 8 months old. They have two runs and are let out daily from the runs for at least an hour each day. They also get Layena, oyster shell free choice, and mixed treats several times per week, usually squash, cuke, or warm oatmeal when it's cold. I've noticed my BO is kind of like the "guard dog" of the hen house, even though the bottom of the pecking order. She always seems to be on alert, scouring the woods around our land, and occasionally howling what seems to be a danger warning even though when we are all out with the chicks we can never see anything that could be a danger. She's not one to sit idly for a spell and I've wondered if that's why she's not ready to lay.

My BO is one of six - different breeds. They've all been together since 2 days post-hatching. Now 8 months old. They have two runs and are let out daily from the runs for at least an hour each day. They also get Layena, oyster shell free choice, and mixed treats several times per week, usually squash, cuke, or warm oatmeal when it's cold. I've noticed my BO is kind of like the "guard dog" of the hen house, even though the bottom of the pecking order. She always seems to be on alert, scouring the woods around our land, and occasionally howling what seems to be a danger warning even though when we are all out with the chicks we can never see anything that could be a danger. She's not one to sit idly for a spell and I've wondered if that's why she's not ready to lay.

This girl is the hen that is not afraid to be by herself. She will wonder off and she is also the hen that will go roost in the coop in the middle of the day. No eggs! I guess I just need to be patient with her 😔

This girl is the hen that is not afraid to be by herself. She will wonder off and she is also the hen that will go roost in the coop in the middle of the day. No eggs! I guess I just need to be patient with her 😔
That's exactly what I'm doing - practicing patience and hoping nothing else is awry.

Can you share a picture of her?
Yes, a pic would be most helpful.

I have searched and searched!
Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Then might need to confine for a time.
Are your other birds laying in the coop nests?
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I hope she’s just hiding hers and that it’s not a health issue. Depending on where you got them, you might check the reviews on the hatchery and see if they often have late blooming Orpingtons.

I have a few Buff Orpingtons (from TSC/Hoover’s hatchery) of the same age and they are laying very rarely because of the lack of sunlight. I think it’s about 3 per week. You could try the trick with food coloring on the vent to see if any eggs are from her, with so few this time of year they could be hiding among the other eggs.

Also, I have found hidden egg piles under trees and bushes and inside the garage on top of a high shelf. There is no telling where they will lay if they have a large area to choose from! I hope you don’t find a big stinky pile of them after it’s too late! :sick

All four of my BO’s were laying between 5 and 5.5 months. I guess every chicken is different maturity wise.

I have searched and searched!
And now you know why chickens have been around forever. Your girl most likely has done an excellent job finding her nesting spot, while keeping it hidden from you. Read about my experience with these sneaky creatures here. Chances are you aren’t gonna just walk up on the nest. I literally have watched a couple of mine, that I knew were not laying in the coop, going to their wayward nest. They don’t just run right to it, but rather walk like statues, as to not draw any attention to what they’re about to do. To date, I have found nests at the base of an oak tree, under a bush in my “fenced off” landscaping, in a pile of discarded insulation (no bueno), under a couple of different pallets, in a few piles of hay, and right next to an overfilled oil bucket (again, no bueno.) Just remember, if you let your chickens free range, some will most likely play the best game of hide n seek that you’ve ever seen.
She always seems to be on alert, scouring the woods around our land, and occasionally howling what seems to be a danger warning even though when we are all out with the chicks we can never see anything that could be a danger.
Trust me when I say, if a chicken signals an alert, there is a reason, one that you just can’t see, yet they do, without fail! Again, it’s an evolutionary trait that has kept them around for this long. I don’t believe chickens “cry wolf” to gain attention or popularity, it literally is in their DNA. It protects them, their flock and any young offspring. A chick comes out of the shell knowing exactly what each alert means.
@aart is right. I have had to do this a couple of times (with different girls.) We never know what makes them look elsewhere when they have what we consider to be the perfect nesting box. This most recent time, I believe my newest layers didn’t feel comfortable laying in the coop because of the over abundance of jacka$$ cockerels that liked hanging out in the run. There were 7 of them “waiting on their turn with the cone and scalder” that were just old enough to be a real nuisance to the younger girls.

Yes, a pic would be most helpful.

Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Are your other birds laying in the coop nests?
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
The other hens all lay in the neasting boxes. We have adequate ventilation. I've had the ceramic eggs in the boxes as well. This girl just isn't laying.

Here is a pic of her I snapped today.

Attachments

• 20201205_160806.jpg
    20201205_160806.jpg
    927.7 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom