9-month-old mallard hen dragging one leg

Is her partner a female or male? If so, she might need to be separated with a look no touch set up so she isn't getting mated. With that said it also depends on how active she remains.
If her set up allows her to rest and she's not climbing things to get around, it should be fine, if not, then I would reduce the area so she has less space to walk around.
When my ducks have had an issue I just confine them to their normal pen area and go from there. Leg sprains usually clear up in a day or two.
Her partner is a female, so I think they should be okay together. We will try to let Ducky and Puddles hang out on their side together.

Hi @ArtsyLady, I was wondering how your Mallard is doing? My duck had a very similar injury and I was wondering if any of the treatements helped your duck. Hope she is doing better. Thanks!

Hi @ArtsyLady, I was wondering how your Mallard is doing? My duck had a very similar injury and I was wondering if any of the treatements helped your duck. Hope she is doing better. Thanks!
She is doing better. We got a splint for her and gave B complex and she can stand on her foot normally again but still walks with a limp. While it is a big improvement from before I would still like to find the cause of the limp. Good luck to you. I hope you're able to have some luck getting your duck healed as well.

Hi! thanks for your response! Glad to hear she is doing better.
My girl is actually a wild mallard that nests every year on our backyard, so I consider her my pet too :)
She was likely attacked by a racoon while in her nest (in spite of our home being fenced-in and her specific nesting area protected by a chicken wire that we put around to protect her while nesting) :-(
Because she is a wild duck, my options to help her are kind of limited, but was wondering if we could do anything to help her. I may try to give her B complex.
She is not fully standing in her foot yet but she can walk with a limp... I am hoping that she keeps recovering...
Thank you for the feedback again!

Hi! thanks for your response! Glad to hear she is doing better.
My girl is actually a wild mallard that nests every year on our backyard, so I consider her my pet too :)
She was likely attacked by a racoon while in her nest (in spite of our home being fenced-in and her specific nesting area protected by a chicken wire that we put around to protect her while nesting) :-(
Because she is a wild duck, my options to help her are kind of limited, but was wondering if we could do anything to help her. I may try to give her B complex.
She is not fully standing in her foot yet but she can walk with a limp... I am hoping that she keeps recovering...
Thank you for the feedback again!
That's so sweet of you. I'm sure she can sense that you offer her a safe place and that's why she returns. We put the B complex (dosing is on the bottle) in a little. It if water, 1/4 - 1/2 cup (so we would know she got the full dose) and she drank it all without hesitation.

Back
Top Bottom