9 months old guinea hens not laying....

ludwing

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
SOUTH AFRICA
Hii everyone its been awhile since i left the forum. In our backyard we owned chickens,muscovy ducks,and 4 guneas ( out of 15 only 4 survived who were hatched by a mama chicken ) counting from 2 february ntil now our guineas are 8 to 9 months old. The spring has already bloom the world and temperatures are rising to 28 Celcius, heavy precipitations has already wettened the world, my question is are they still younger to lay eggs or will start at the next following spring next year? Im perfectly sure that the are 2 females and 1 male..
Any advise will be alot appreciated

Guineas can be seasonal layers,especially the first time. BUT they are also VERY good at hiding their eggs, so its a tossup.

Thanks trefoil....for your reply i appreciate it alot. I really dont know in which side should i take, (seasolly layers ) because i hav'nt seen any fighting,chasing,humpback displays. The flock is still marches in military like column wich shows no breeding behaviour...( secretive ) what iv notice in the previously days is a place the like to freerage..so mybe they are laying there...
Thnks anyway for your help ( trefoil )

Our guinea keets we hatched in may 13 didnt start laying until june of this year and this wk they are slowing down again prob until next spring but they found time to hatch three cluches of keets this summer lots of fun to watch them grow and they have helped greatly reduce the ticks and other pests around our feilds

Guineafowls are seasonal layers unlike chickens, usually late spring to fall. Will start laying around 4 months but most will start at 7 months...when they are 9 months they are almost reaching their maturity,
they should begin this spring ( southern pole ) sometimes pullets guineas might not start laying ntil late season and will lay ntil day light increase. Their breeding season is determined by the timing of heavy rainfalls when food is available to raise their youngs
hope that you will find your side...

Guineas are seasonal layers and typically begin to lay after a year. Mine began laying at 18 months and hatched her first set of eggs. 25 of 30 keets hatched from her alone. Some people get lucky and have early layers but they normally lay at around a year unless you feed them high protein feed early on. I normally feed them layer pellets mixed with all flock but my guineas do not like pellets and rely on fruits, veggies, bugs, lizards, and what not for food. I currently have a small flock of guineas and they have not finished their 50 pound bag of food for 2 months. My nine hens finish a 50 pound bag before the end of a month.

Back
Top Bottom