9 New Peepers!

Appytaz

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Central Florida
My silkie cross snuck off and made herself a nice little nest under a palm fron in the horse's front turnout paddock. (Our chickens freerange 24/7) We had no clue where she was laying - checked all of the usually areas and could not locate a nest. After she had been gone for about a week I caught her sneaking out from under the palm. We decided to just let her go on and hatch them and yesterday she appeared at the front door with 9 little peepers! 4 white and 4 black & 1 silver. I am really surprised they made it - I had turned the horse out in the paddock a few times before we knew where she was. Just by luck, my brother spent the night at my house last night and I sent him out with the net to catch her so we could move her to the "nursery" with the babies. (Ya gotta love little brothers) It was a pretty good time to do it because we have had a ton of rain here in Central FL. I will have to get some pics of them tonight. But, here is a pic of the Nursery with 2 of our last babies that we kept. We added a box with some hay for her to nest in with them.
100_2622.jpg

Here are the 2 we kept from the last litter. Haven't even thought about idea of keeping any of the new ones yet.

100_2745.jpg

and here is the proud daddy: Ricky Roo
100_2739.jpg

I just love my mutt chickens :)

Yes - that is a big plastic frog. Lucy, our 1st silkie hen, was VERY attached to that frog. She slept on top of it every night. When she was sick - we moved her to that pen and had to take the frog with her. She would not sleep and would stand and screech the first time we tried to move her without her frog. Unfortuantely she passed - and we just kept the frog in her memory. Seems to make a nice playground for the youngsters.

Back
Top Bottom