9 w/o NHRs "shark fin" look

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
Ok, this is my first time, and its probably nothing, but as I was putting the flock in from free ranging for the night, I noticed three of my flock - 9 week old New Hampshire reds - each had a vaguely shark-fin like (or mohawk, if you prefer) collection of a few feathers starting to sticking up in the middle of their back, centered over the spine, just where the tail starts to clearly demarcate from the body. I picked two up, and checked carefully. No apparent injuries, no ticks, no bug bites, no bony protuberances, nothing clearly wrong - and the chickies are otherwise behaving normally - they just look like some feathered finned dinosaur.

Just a few feathers, distinct "crest" or "fin" on the back. No missing feathers, no loss of sheen on the coat, no other visual issues.

Or do I simply call them "Alfalfa" for a while?

If no one has ideas, I'll try to get a picture in the AM light - it was too dark tonight to get a good shot, and I didn't have my phone with me.

Last edited:
If you can get some photos that may be helpful.

Where did the chickens come from?

From your description I would suspect you are talking about the "Cushion" of the chicken.
I have one New Hampshire (Hatchery quality) that has a fairly pronounced cushion, another that you can tell it's not "quite right" too. I also have 1 "Heritage" German New Hampshire that is a little closer to "conformity" but still has a more pronounced cushion than she should.

I don't really remember seeing it being discussed about New Hampshires but it does seem to be a "problem" (not APA Standard) in Barred Plymouth Rocks (and I suspect many other breeds as well)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-this-a-show-quality-barred-rock-hen.939073/

If you are not showing your birds, then I don't see it being a problem. My Hatchery Quality New Hampshires have done very well, they are both good layers and I have enjoyed them.

There's a few "non hatchery" New Hampshires on this page, you may want to take note of the hens that don't have that pronounced cushion. https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/NH/BRKNH.html

Also you may find this article interesting. I haven't spent a lot of time reading it, just found it!:) But it shows some anatomy which I think is pretty cool.

Hope all this helps!
Anyway, I would love to see your pullets!

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2019/07/healthy-hen-anatomy/

Thanks @Wyorp Rock ! As I inspected my birds this AM while they raced out the gate to free range, I was happy to find this symptom, whatever it is, had completely disappeared on two of my birds, and largely disappeared on the third (they aren't tagged, so I can't tell you whether the one still showing was the most prominent yesterday or not - I was going to photo and tag this AM, so I had records.

The birds were sold by TSC as "rainbow pullets", the only person to identifify them as HNRs is me, and (as you can see from the experience listed in my signature), I'm hardly qualified to do so. Anyhow, here's a profile pic I grabbed this AM at full zoom on the cell phone camera. Hoped the bird would hold just a bit more still while hunting bugs, but alas, it was not to be.

1592398193998.png

and this is top down, where you can just make out the shadow of the feathers not laying completely flat and tight to the body.

1592398302382.png

The birds are for laying eggs, and breeding more egg layers, eventually destined for the soup pot, or the stew pot, when their productive days are done. No plans to show them, but if its indicative of some more serious concern, I won't use them as breeders, either. Unless the problem is diet, then I'll change what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks again for the links, going to read them now.

Last edited:
The birds were sold by TSC as "rainbow pullets", the only person to identifify them as HNRs is me
If they are Rainbow pullets from TSC then very likely they came from Hoover's Hatchery. They would be a mixed breed and not New Hamphire. While coloring is similar, alas, they are not NH - but you can call them what you like if you are keeping and breeding them for your own use. I just would not use NH as a name to be resold or if selling eggs/chicks :)
https://hoovershatchery.com/rainbow.html

@Wyorp Rock, shy a DNA test, is there a way to distinguish between the HH' "Rainbow whatever" and the NHR visually? (and do we have an abbreviation for the HH Rainbow?)

I've asked this same question in the breed thread, here, no answers yet, just a comment that may cause the thread to be buried unanswered - If they are HH Rainbows I don't mind, I'm just disappointed. Advertising claims these birds all have unique color and patterns, as do their pictures - but I have 8 identical birds. Well, at least one is likely a roo, and if I put them in a lineup, how much or little smuttiness is present in the tail will allow me to pick out two or three individuals, but under no circumstances would I describe this batch as "unique color and patterns".

Ultimately, I'll be breeding my own backyard mixes, so a recognized breed name is out the window - it would just be helpful, as I start, to know what I'm starting with...

SO mine, the mottling isn't nearly so pronounced on the hackles, almost completely absent. They do have the lighter feathered breasts, but not the darker toned wings, back or saddle. Fluff less pronounced (or light), and the black tail feathers are also mostly lacking - my birds have less than a handful of black tipped feathers each at present, while this appears to have a black tail under all that red.

Behold, the "HHR". Blah, off to change my Signature.

Thanks @Wyorp Rock. I'm learning

Back
Top Bottom