9+week BCM gender help! One roo+one maybe?

For anyone interested, here’s more progress/development pictures. They are 13 weeks today. Mostly sharing because the one too is shaping up to be SOOOO gorgeous 😍😂 BUT also because even though most signs point to the other one also being a boy, there’s still some uncertainty… future people in this position can have some pictures to weigh their experience on if they’re having trouble sexing.

The first three photos below are of the 10000% boy. Second set of three are of the other. I think I’m assuming the second one is a boy since that’s what the majority are saying, but the discrepancy in coloring is big for me. I and the neck feathers are not the length and sleekness that a Roo would have by this point. I know the comb and wattles are larger. That’s what has me thinking boy still… buuuuuuuuuut……

Keep in mind, this is a very pure selectively bred line of BCM from a private breeder. Not from a large source like Meyers or Hoover’s, where it seems there can be some dilution in gene pools 👍🏼
1A91CA71-791E-4C31-ABD5-5AAF2E789839.jpeg
C3D2ACB3-F8D5-473F-AE11-C4BD27C52C62.jpeg
AF0426EE-5746-46BF-AF9F-0D1F5AE6CA91.jpeg
8F7A9D4F-041C-4D39-A9BA-D3368254BB70.jpeg
ED1AC484-4693-434F-BCCD-8F15FB3FBC4D.jpeg
143F15C9-0B24-4149-AD25-005CC66C050C.jpeg

Last edited:
Almost-
My 2 cents worth
Pullet
I'm not seeing pointed hackle/saddle feathers. They look rounded to me.
Yes comb and wattles are large, but not the bright red like your roo.
I am leaning towards Almost being a pullet.
Thank you for your input! I just added pics to the post above to show 13 week development. I’m still holding out a little hope for those chocolate eggs!!!

Both are males, but the darker one seems to have the slow feathering gene. And there might have been a pure black Marans in his ancestry.

All good points! Thanks for your input! It’s been fun to watch all this development for sure! I think there will be a part of me holding out hope for an egg until I witness a crow… or until the feathering becomes more defined!

The second one is a cockerel. It has male specific saddle feathers coming in. Those aside, absolutely no pullet would have a comb and wattles that developed at 13 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom