9 week Lavender Merans

jklhgyfhg

Songster
Jul 14, 2021
Just curious on peoples suspicions in regards to the genders of my two Lavender Merans.

The one in the foreground developed tail feathers, and feathered out more quickly than the lavender chick in the background, that had me believing for quite some time that I had one of each but really, I have no idea. Neither has very red comb or waddles, the larger one is ever so slightly pink...

20210729_152701.jpg

20210729_152705.jpg

20210729_194901.jpg

this shows their size difference even if a little blurry...

20210730_064356.jpg

This is the smaller meran chick also the bottom of the pecking order. The Black Australorp (guessing pullet), size wise/comparison, it's about the same size as the larger Lavender Meran chick

If Lavenders mature like my black coppers do then both of those are pullets. At 9 weeks if there was a male I would expect him to have much bigger comb and wattles. This is one of my boys last week at 6 weeks old.
View attachment 2778653
That doesn't appear to be pure Black Copper Marans. Lots gold patterning/leakage happening in the wings, shoulders, & butt fluff.

Agree should not have a peacomb. The lavender color in lavender Marans was brought in using lavender orpingtons. So comb should be single. It is still a project color.
These birds appear to be pullets. 😊

Back
Top Bottom