9 week old Polish genders?

I don't think they are too young to sex. My polish cockerel is almost 10 weeks and I've known for weeks now that it's a cockerel. If there is no other roo on the property, they will exhibit their roo behaviors early. Mine has had sickle feathers for two weeks and has been growing them longer everyday. He has also been perfecting his crow for the last 2 weeks. He had more pink wattles than my female as soon as I noticed them.
This is my first polish hatch. The signs are there if you really observe.
Those tail feathers are pretty straight. I'm thinking all pullets if thereare no wattles hiding behind the beards. 😁

At this age, tail feathers are not an accurate indicator of gender! True sickle feathers do not develop until later in life and even females can have curved tails. I had a show line of Polish and was able to sex them super early (5 weeks give or take) on by crest shape but this method has not stood for other lines so I do not use it. With these birds your best bet is going to be waiting for pointed feathers or lack of them :) Wattles also many times will not even develop in bearded males and aren't just hidden behind the fuzz.

They appear to be too young to sex. I would update in a few more weeks. They are too young for sex-specific pointed feathers. Since they're bearded you're going to have a difficult time going off of wattle growth which is often a good indicator because wattle growth will be inhibited by the beard!
Thank you-will post more later, and I will spell wattle right too! ha

I don't think they are too young to sex. My polish cockerel is almost 10 weeks and I've known for weeks now that it's a cockerel. If there is no other roo on the property, they will exhibit their roo behaviors early. Mine has had sickle feathers for two weeks and has been growing them longer everyday. He has also been perfecting his crow for the last 2 weeks. He had more pink wattles than my female as soon as I noticed them.
This is my first polish hatch. The signs are there if you really observe.
Those tail feathers are pretty straight. I'm thinking all pullets if thereare no wattles hiding behind the beards. 😁
I'll keep looking:) I think I would be crazy lucky if I chose all hens out of a packed brooder of straight runs! Fingers crossed!

I'll keep looking:) I think I would be crazy lucky if I chose all hens out of a packed brooder of straight runs! Fingers crossed!
I should also mention that I had him under a broody duck. She smashed his shell and I helped him hatch. I was pretty sure from day 1 it was going to be a roo due to his tenacity. 😁

Back
Top Bottom