9 week old with neck injury

LilyD

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Bristol, VT
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 9 week old pullet that got caught in the fencing somehow while I was at work. It looks like the other chickens pecked at her head and neck and now she has no skin or feathers on the back of her neck but instead has a huge wound there. What can I do to keep it from getting infected.

Last edited:
Poor girl!You will have to isolate her from the other until it completely heals. You can go down to your local feed store and buy some antibiotics. Chickens are very tough as long as you keep it clean she should heal just fine.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have her in a cat carrier in the house and will move her into the barn tomorrow morning. It was already getting dark when I found her. She has food and water in there and she is eating and drinking fine. Both her eyes look fine and so does her beak. but the back of her head is a mess. I looked up online and they said to use hydrogen peroxide to clean it out well and then iodine tea after that. I did the peroxide but I will have to wait to get iodine until morning. Hope she does okay.

Update on my girl:

So far today she seems to be doing better. She has stopped shaking and is eating the food and water in the carrier. I got some vetericyn to help treat her wound and am going to manage it as an open wound. I will rinse it out with plain warm water 3 or 4 times a day then use a bit of peroxide, rinse it again and spray on the vetericyn. It seems to already be closing. I have promised that I won't bug her for at least a few hours but I will take pictures the next time I go in to treat her. Poor thing she thinks I'm the devil because the only time she sees me I want to play with the part that hurts. Makes me feel bad.

I made her up some hard boiled egg special hoping it would make a good peace offering. The one great thing is that there is nothing wrong with her appetite. Hopefully it will heal quickly and not get infected.

edited to add pictures

We didn't really appreciate the shower too much but now it looks much cleaner and I medicated it again. She is still eating and drinking fine and with her in the back room of the house the bugs aren't getting to it at all. Hoping she keeps doing good and gets better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom