9 weeks and still guessing!

Don’t give up hope yet for these two. I think with the timing neither is certain roo or pullet. Watch feather development (like saddle feathers and hackles) on your known roo to know when those should start coming in, because they will tell you more at this point.

Is that little spot the dark barring I am to be watching for? This pic was taken at around 11 or 12 weeks.

Attachments

• 20180912_184237.jpg
    20180912_184237.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 17
Ok, phew! I remember my older rooster getting lots of little flecks like this all through him before his wings darkened. So I guess I am still waiting for these ones to decide what they are at 12 weeks. The only good part is that i had been suspicious on my other roster guy from 7 weeks onward and 100% sure from 10 weeks on. The longer they take to show, the more I hope they are both hens!

Hi @AAchicks, I am leaning towards them both being pullets, since they are now at least 15weeks and look NOTHING like my previous rooster did at that age. Here are some pics from last night, in case anyone can confirm or contradict me, and an older photo of hem with my last roo when he was the same age as they are now:

Attachments

• 20181009_202026.jpg
    20181009_202026.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20181009_202209.jpg
    20181009_202209.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180915_095824.jpg
    20180915_095824.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 7
I would say the combs definitely look more pullet. I can't tell from the body from these pics. If you have pics of the side, similar the one posted above on this page, that would be helpful! But I think at this point you should be able to tell, especially with having the prior one to compare!

Well I finally started calling them bu names instead of just "the babies". Frannie and Dolly - which can turn into Frankie and Dolly if need be, but I think we are alright. :p

For those of you who commented or followed this - at 19 weeks we got our first egg from the hen I was wondering about! Fran doesn't need to be renamed Frank! I was feeling pretty confident since I last posted and their feathers had no signs of points or darkening, but did have a slight moment of wonder over the weekend - when Fran and the cockeral got into a little scuffle and her comb also seemed more red and prominent that day - but then I realized the scuffle was just the roo figuring out he was a dude and that she was a pretty lady! Thankfully she laid 2 days later and I caught her in the nesting box, so I didn't have long to wait. Thanks for all of your helpful comments and opinions, it helped keep me sane during the waiting period!

Attachments

• IMG_20181115_184028_194.jpg
    IMG_20181115_184028_194.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 3
For those of you were commented or followed this - at 19 weeks we got our first egg from the hen I was wondering about! Fran doesn't need to be renamed Frank! I was feeling pretty confident since I last posted and their feathers had no signs of points or darkening, but did have a slight moment of wonder over the weekend - when Fran and the cockeral got into a little scuffle and her comb also seemed more red and prominent that day - but then I realized the scuffle was just the roo figuring out he was a dude and that she was a pretty lady! Thankfully she laid 2 days later and I caught her in the nesting box, so I didn't have long to wait. Thanks for all of your helpful comments and opinions, it helped keep me sane during the waiting period!
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:ya:ya:ya:ya:yesss::yesss::yesss::yesss::woot:woot
Congrats on the eggs!! She's a gal!!

Back
Top Bottom