90 assorted and mostly mystery eggs hatch (the lav made it!!!)

Sounds like lots of fun! I have 20 eggs from ducks and hens going into lockdown today! I've done those big hatches and they are lots of fun! Just sit on your hands, though. Its a HUGE temptation to open the bator with that many chicks running around!

So far all is well. The temp and humidity are hold up and the eggs look like eggs from what I can see. There shouldn't be any action until late on Thursday since I set at about 8:00 in the evening.

I was mainly able to score the eggs because I'm a 7 year exhibitor and everyone knows me. No one even batted an eyelash when I took the coffee can and put it with my stuff.

If you are interested in eggs from your fair it is best to go and speak to some of the exhibitors. Most of the old timers stay at the fair all week and can be found around the barn. You may also ask for the superintendent. Generally they are the ones in charge of the extra eggs from exhibitors that don't collect their eggs.

The fair is also a good place to find local breeders and pick up contact information. With this you can perhaps purchase eggs from them after the fair is over.

Wow, sounds like your gonna have a ball on Thursday!! It's so much fun to incubate ALOT of eggs! I've had several batches of over 90 eggs...fun, fun, fun!!
jumpy.gif

I'm subscribing to see what happens!
big_smile.png
pop.gif

That is a good idea! If we go to the fair this September/October I might have to ask around. However, when ever we go, we ususally miss the poultry/rabbit show.
hmm.png

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Nothing so far, but believe me I've been checking. I'm really not expecting anything until late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Got the brooder ready to go and I'll be setting up a second brooder as well. One for the large fowl chicks and one for the tiny bantam chicks. I've had problems in the past keeping the two together. Once they reach about 1 week of age the larger chicks crowd out the smaller ones.

I've got 7 years of hatching experience under my belt, but I can't help getting excited and happy each and every time a hatch date is close.

Back
Top Bottom