911 Emergency hatching duck egg with yolk still inside

What day of incubation are you on? There are good articles on here about assisted hatching. I think you can find them on the sticky threads, or search in the search bar.

Is the duckling yawning or making chewing motions with its beak? If so that’s a sign it’s still absorbing the yolk

I had a duckling I had to assist a bit last year. He had blood vessels visible so I had to wait until the blood vessels retreated, and then I would remove a bit more shell, stop when I saw blood vessels. Then resume when those vessels disappeared.
Incubation period was at 30 days. Yes the motions were happening but something wasn't right as to the breathing pattern. But wasn't sure what it was or what to do as I waited for the yolk & veins to be absorbed.

Thank you all for responding with great advice. I honestly don't know what I'd do without the site when it comes to help with my ducks. I greatly appreciate it & ya'll. Unfortunately poor baby didn't make it to much longer after I posted.

Poor baby didn't make it 😢. I followed through not assisting as I waited for the yolk & veins to be absorbed. The only thing I did was clear out the nostrils just so the airway was clear.

Yes both eggs pipped at the wrong end. Would you be able to tell me as to why that happened?
I’m so sorry for your losses :hugs

Pips at the wrong end are most commonly caused from incubating eggs with the small end facing up, or incubating eggs lying on their side.

What was the temperature, and are you certain it was accurate? Baby looks to’ve been ~4 days behind development-wise, which is usually caused from temperature being too low.

I’m so sorry for your losses :hugs

Pips at the wrong end are most commonly caused from incubating eggs with the small end facing up, or incubating eggs lying on their side.

What was the temperature, and are you certain it was accurate? Baby looks to’ve been ~4 days behind development-wise, which is usually caused from temperature being too low.
99.5 for most of period.
98.5 for the last 3 days.
Temperatures based off incubation readings. So no not 100% accurate.
Both eggs had liquid that was gold tint super sticky and hardened up afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom