9mo Brahma rooster suddenly dies... What could cause this?

erkme73

Chirping
Jul 22, 2021
Just 8 hours prior, he was strutting, crowing, eating, and mating with the hens. Absolutely no sign of distress or illness.

I have cameras in and around the coop, run, and back yard. At 2:10, a racoon was spotted, on the ground, outside the run.

The rooster was on the awning over the coop door, inside the run - along with about 5 other chickens. The racoon can be seen walking around the run/coop area, but never got on top of the run where he could have (potentially) reached in to grab at the chickens. The run is wrapped in 1" chicken wire, and there were no signs of the racoon having gotten on top, nor any damage to the chicken wire. So I think it may have been purely coincidental that the racoon was there.

At 2:15, the rooster begins to wildly flap its wings for about 30 seconds. Then its over. Its legs hanging over the awning, discovered this morning.

There was no damage on the body, no missing feathers, no blood or bruising, and no palpable broken neck. The video does not reveal anything causing the rooster to behave this way. The other chickens next to him didn't jump down, though they did shuffle a bit to avoid the flapping wings.

Seeing as there was no likely predation, or other event leading to the its death, I'm concerned that it may have some type of illness.

His comb was bright red. There was no coughing, panting, or other signs of illness in the hours prior. Even as he lay there, he seem completely healthy.

Should I be particularly concerned that this is pathological and communicable? Anything to look out for with the other birds? Or on his body?

Sorry for your loss. What state are you in? It might have been stress or a heart attack. The best way to find out what caused his death would be to have your state vet perform a necropsy on his body, if you keep it cold, not frozen, and take it in today or ship it overnight by fedex or ups. Here is a list of state vets, and the body must be there by Friday:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry for your loss. What state are you in? It might have been stress or a heart attack. The best way to find out what caused his death would be to have your state vet perform a necropsy on his body, if you keep it cold, not frozen, and take it in today or ship it overnight by fedex or ups. Here is a list of state vets, and the body must be there by Friday:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Thanks for the link. I'm in TN. I called UT Knoxville, which is only about 2 hrs from me. Their necropsy dept says it's a $240 fee for a single chicken. I was hoping, given the seriousness of communicable illnesses, that maybe it would have been subsidized, but at this price, I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach.

Besides, I've already tossed the body over our 120' bluff and I was NOT looking forward to hiking down there (snakes, ticks, etc) to recover it.

That seems so high. Some states including CA charge 25 dollars. It can vary a lot. In Ohio, I had heard that the price was high, but when I called and requested how much a necropsy was on a backyard chicken, they quoted me $23. They charge mire for commercial chicken farms. They may request more for additional testing, but I thought that was fair. You might check with a neighboring state for future reference. I usually do my own necropsies on my hens who have died of reproductive disorders or ascites, and there are links online for anatomy and what to look for in certain diseases. I learned a lot from that.

Back
Top Bottom