1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a ? about wood ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by key west chick, Nov 12, 2011.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    We are trying to negotiate buying some land with an acre pond. It has 2 wood duck boxes already, no ducks. We thought about buying a pair of woodies or Mandarins. They would need to be pinioned. We dont have tons of predators, but do have coyotes, coons and such. Where do wood ducks spend most of their time? Where do they sleep? We are concerned that if they are pinioned, they wouldnt be able to get away from the few predators we may have.

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    If it were me, I wouldn't buy wood ducks or mandarins and put them out there without any good protection. They're so vulnerable to a lot of predators, including hawks and owls that you might not know are there. But, other people in the forum might have more ideas and more experience with them.

Most of the wild wood ducks I know if sleep in trees or hiding in heavy brush.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You would need to build them an enclosure to live in, they can't survive on an open pond for long against predators.

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Thats kinda what I was thinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by