A belated introduction

TCCL

Songster
6 Years
Sep 4, 2017
Eastern Tennessee
Hello everyone,
I joined a while back and didn’t introduce myself so in the spirit of “better late than never” here I am.

I live with my partner in Eastern Tennessee on 20 rural acres with a large spring fed pond. When we first moved here (2013) we obtained 4 ducklings from Tractor Supply. All turned out to be males but they were a delight to have around. We first started chickening last year with 6 chicks from Tractor Supply -supposedly sexed hens. Two Cuckoo Marans, two Isa Browns, and two “sex links”. Well, one of the alleged “sex links” turned out to be a Rhode Island Red rooster from heck as seen in my profile pic.

The problems with him is what brought me here to BYC. Long story short, he was a complete and total jerk of a rooster and is no longer of this Earth.

Fast forwarding, currently have 13 Silkies obtained from Cackle Hatchery as day olds born 2/12/2018. Those sweet Silkies have stolen my heart! A couple of them have been broody as of late and when I checked the eggs previously, there were no signs of fertility. I just let them continue to do their thing as a learning experience...well! Today I got luckly to catch the nests with them off of them and candled the eggs....we have development! Various stages of development because those nests seem to be time share. It appears as though chicks could be here any day now! So exciting for us. I hope the candling today didn’t disrupt the later stage chicks...

We still have one Isa Brown as mentioned from last year. Her name is Speedy and she’s a very personable and clever chicken. Speedy has shown us that birds are not a bunch of morons. They have thoughts, feelings, make plans, and solve problems. Speedy makes secret nests, each one more secretive than the last. We haven’t found her latest stash yet...She disappears for hours at a time on the 20 acres so who knows!

We have a Pekin hen from Tractor Supply obtained this spring. Her name is Noisy and she is very agreeable. We brought a year old Muscovy drake into the flock a few months ago and we named him Nothairdo, (or Hairdo). He is delightful. I have a local line on some Muscovy hens and plan to get a few of them very soon.

About me, and not poultry. In no particular order, some of my interests include trying new things, cooking, gardening, trapping/fishing/hunting, thrift shopping, sewing, magnets, flashlights, Fantasy Fest in Key West, observing and interacting with nature. The term I think that best sums up what I do and have an interest in, is “Exploring The Universe”.

The outstanding desire that is currently burning within me is wanting to learn how to weld. What kind of welding? All kinds. What do I want to weld? All sorts of things. If there is anyone here who has experience welding I would sure like to hear from you.

Well! Again I would like to say Hello to you all here at BYC and express my appreciation for you all.

Ok, funny how life plays out and dramtic things happen when they happen. Just as I was finishing writing this post, I stepped away because I thought to put up a trail cam in the area I suspected Speedy’s secret nest to be...Feathers were found. Speedy’s. A lot of them. I followed a freshly trampled unknown animal trail leading down into the wild brook area...Speedy’s feathers were littered along this trail. I followed it as far as I could into the thick vegetation before I could go no further. The amount of feathers found makes me believe she didn’t survive. I was hoping to find her body for a clue as to what predator got her but no such luck. Upon exiting, I set up the trail camera along the path of feathers see what will be seen.

Rest in peace Speedy. We’ll always remember you with love. ❤️

Hello everyone,
I joined a while back and didn’t introduce myself so in the spirit of “better late than never” here I am.

I live with my partner in Eastern Tennessee on 20 rural acres with a large spring fed pond. When we first moved here (2013) we obtained 4 ducklings from Tractor Supply. All turned out to be males but they were a delight to have around. We first started chickening last year with 6 chicks from Tractor Supply -supposedly sexed hens. Two Cuckoo Marans, two Isa Browns, and two “sex links”. Well, one of the alleged “sex links” turned out to be a Rhode Island Red rooster from heck as seen in my profile pic.

The problems with him is what brought me here to BYC. Long story short, he was a complete and total jerk of a rooster and is no longer of this Earth.

Fast forwarding, currently have 13 Silkies obtained from Cackle Hatchery as day olds born 2/12/2018. Those sweet Silkies have stolen my heart! A couple of them have been broody as of late and when I checked the eggs previously, there were no signs of fertility. I just let them continue to do their thing as a learning experience...well! Today I got luckly to catch the nests with them off of them and candled the eggs....we have development! Various stages of development because those nests seem to be time share. It appears as though chicks could be here any day now! So exciting for us. I hope the candling today didn’t disrupt the later stage chicks...

We still have one Isa Brown as mentioned from last year. Her name is Speedy and she’s a very personable and clever chicken. Speedy has shown us that birds are not a bunch of morons. They have thoughts, feelings, make plans, and solve problems. Speedy makes secret nests, each one more secretive than the last. We haven’t found her latest stash yet...She disappears for hours at a time on the 20 acres so who knows!

We have a Pekin hen from Tractor Supply obtained this spring. Her name is Noisy and she is very agreeable. We brought a year old Muscovy drake into the flock a few months ago and we named him Nothairdo, (or Hairdo). He is delightful. I have a local line on some Muscovy hens and plan to get a few of them very soon.

About me, and not poultry. In no particular order, some of my interests include trying new things, cooking, gardening, trapping/fishing/hunting, thrift shopping, sewing, magnets, flashlights, Fantasy Fest in Key West, observing and interacting with nature. The term I think that best sums up what I do and have an interest in, is “Exploring The Universe”.

The outstanding desire that is currently burning within me is wanting to learn how to weld. What kind of welding? All kinds. What do I want to weld? All sorts of things. If there is anyone here who has experience welding I would sure like to hear from you.

Well! Again I would like to say Hello to you all here at BYC and express my appreciation for you all.

Ok, funny how life plays out and dramtic things happen when they happen. Just as I was finishing writing this post, I stepped away because I thought to put up a trail cam in the area I suspected Speedy’s secret nest to be...Feathers were found. Speedy’s. A lot of them. I followed a freshly trampled unknown animal trail leading down into the wild brook area...Speedy’s feathers were littered along this trail. I followed it as far as I could into the thick vegetation before I could go no further. The amount of feathers found makes me believe she didn’t survive. I was hoping to find her body for a clue as to what predator got her but no such luck. Upon exiting, I set up the trail camera along the path of feathers see what will be seen.

Rest in peace Speedy. We’ll always remember you with love. ❤️

awesopme.jpg

Egg Basket.jpg

Have fun learning to weld!

Back
Top Bottom