A Better feed for a Better Price?

And here's the problem with the values that the fodder system companies are putting out there. Those values are for DRY matter not as fed. You have to remove all the moisture (water) to test it. Of course the values will look high. Factor back in the 85% non nutritive water than tell me how much protein fodder really has.

Last edited:
Here is some info on the wheat and Barley fodder that I am going to be using. If this info is correct protein shouldn't be an issue but I still am doing more research on it

~~Wheat Grass Nutritional info: Vitamins A, B, C, E and K Calcium, Chlorophyll, Iron, Lecithin, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Trace Elements, Amino Acids Protein: up to 30%

Barley Grass Nutritional info: Vitamins A, B, C, E and K Calcium, Chlorophyll, Iron, Lecithin, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid Amino Acids, Trace Elements, Phosphorus, Potassium Protein: up to 30%

Here is a link as well for more info

http://www.fodderfeed.org/Nutritional-Value.html

Another deceptive and incomplete way to look at fodder values.

How does the protein value jump up from 12% for the seeds up to 30% for the fodder? It's a percentage. If you add up all the values that are expressed in percent, it must add up to 100. All seeds are composed of carbohydrates, protein and fat. If one value goes down, one or both must go up. You must end up with 100%. In the sprouting process starches and sugars (carbohydrates) are used. That would mean that fats and/or protein must go up. Guess what. Protein and fat go up and CHO go down. A truer picture of what's going on would be to look at how many grams of protein, CHO and fat you start with. Sprout the seed than test that sample and see how many grams of protein, CHO and fat you end up with.

And here's the problem with the values that the fodder system companies are putting out there. Those values are for DRY matter not as fed. You have to remove all the moisture (water) to test it. Of course the values will look high. Factor back in the 85% non nutritive water than tell me how much protein fodder really has.
Thanks for the info ;-)

Another deceptive and incomplete way to look at fodder values.

How does the protein value jump up from 12% for the seeds up to 30% for the fodder? It's a percentage. If you add up all the values that are expressed in percent, it must add up to 100. All seeds are composed of carbohydrates, protein and fat. If one value goes down, one or both must go up. You must end up with 100%. In the sprouting process starches and sugars (carbohydrates) are used. That would mean that fats and/or protein must go up. Guess what. Protein and fat go up and CHO go down. A truer picture of what's going on would be to look at how many grams of protein, CHO and fat you start with. Sprout the seed than test that sample and see how many grams of protein, CHO and fat you end up with.
Thanks for the info, I will continue to research

Back
Top Bottom