A big Hello from a HUGE Bantam lover in Utah!

Chosen Chickens

Songster
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Utah
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? In high school I started dating a girl that lived on a farm. I talked her Dad into getting chickens! We had Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Araucanas, and silkies! The silkies were probably our favorite ones! I fell in love with Bantams! I ended up marrying the girl and now.... 10 years and 4 children later, we are getting our first flock of chickens of our own!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 0. but I just built a small chicken coop in the back yard and we are ordering 10 little bantam chickens to come this march.

(3) What breeds do you have? none yet. But we ordered a huge variety.. all bantams (silkie, frizzle cochin, brahma, golden sebright, silver sebright, quail antwerp, araucana, barnevelder, partridge wyandotte, white crested black polish)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? I was at the local feed store and saw a friend that told me this was the best place to get info for new chicken owners

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Healthcare! I am a chiropractor! I love sports and outdoors of all kind

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Happily married with 4 beautiful children (the youngest is 3 weeks old and my wife thinks I am nuts for choosing right now to get chickens!) We have a Rat terrior dog that is a handful and it will be interesting to get it to leave the chickens alone (and suggestions on that will help) and then 3 Beta fish!

Way way excited to be on here and learn more from everyone!

frow.gif

Here is what I did and wonder if it was the right move. I want only hens but they dont sex the bantams, so I ordered 3 of each type that I am getting and then when I know which ones are roosters I will sell those. So my flock will start at 30 and then shrink to 10. Also, I am looking around and is there a good thread for reputable hatcheries to make sure I got them from a good location?

welcome-byc.gif

There are a bunch of different people on here that sell chicks. There's quite a few hatcheries. I would suggest ordering from somewhere close to you that way, the chicks are not under a lt of stress. What state are you located in?

Back
Top Bottom