A brooder plan and question for anyone to make comments about

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jim c, Dec 25, 2014.

1. jim c

jim c Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    This is the year that I will be getting some new chicks in March. I live in Spokane Valley, Washington and normally we have cold winters (this year is really mild). That being said I can not rely on the fact that it may turn for the worse and become cold about the time I will get my chicks. What I have in mind is I have a area of my shop for a 4x4 brooder 3ft high that will be in one corner.
    I will be only getting 4 chicks (because of local laws and size of yard). What I plan on is raising the chicks in the brooder for about 8 weeks and then moving them to the coop when spring breaks. The shop is heated so once the chicks have feathered out and no longer need the heat lamp I will have a temp coop to raise them in and be able to interact with them daily. Other than the amount of time I will need to clean the brooder/temp coop, has anyone else tried this or have any ideas that may be useful to do this?

2. LaylaFlora

LaylaFlora Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    I would try and figure a way to hang their waterer or use a nipple watering system. Floor waterers tend to get spilled and make a wet mess!

3. BTC4chickens

BTC4chickens New Egg

Dec 24, 2014
    Otis Orchards, Wa
    Jim, we also have a 4x4 brooder and a 8x4 brooder. You will have plenty of room for 4 birds! Nipple drinkers and bucket feeders are the way to go!

4. jim c

jim c Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    I will be using nipple water system as I believe its the best time to teach them to use it. I always use a hanging feeder and I have no problems with the gallon heated dog bowl for the big chickens in the winter, they cant tip it over and the cant get above it to poop in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by