1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A broody Easter Egger??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aamanda, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Do Easter Eggers go broody? Today Big Chicken was in her nest laying. I left her to it and went to the PO the store....Was gone over an hour. When I got back I went to check and she was still in the nest. A lil worried I decided to check under her. OMG!! I thought she was gonna kick my butt! I have hens that will peck at me if I reach under them but she was BAD! I had to pull my jacket sleeve over my hand and I could still feel it! She was screaming at me the whole time and yes she did have an egg under her. I was finally able to get the egg but she stayed in the nest. I left her alone for a bit then went back. I had to physically remove her from the box. She yelled at me the entire time. Finally she left the coop still yelling. And all across the yard yelling lol. Even Mr. Rooster came running to check on her. Most of the stuff I have read says EE don't go broody. Im thinking if she does it again to take the egg but sneak a fake under her and see what happens. What do you think? Is this broody behavior or just a ****** hen?

2. Cribbs74

Cribbs74 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Sounds like a broody hen to me. All my broodies do the same thing. Scream, yell, peck and carry on like they had just seen a Fox.

Even though a breed is less apt to go broody doesn't mean they can't. What you may find if you left her to sit she would be a wayward mother. I liken it to a pregnant teen who does all the fun mothering stuff, but still likes to hang out an party.

I had a broody aeuracana last year who would sit for a couple hours, get up and hang out a couple hours and repeat. She eventually abanoned her eggs after 14 or so days. Now she won't lay. Go figure....

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We've had reports of pretty much every breed going broody here. If you want her to hatch eggs, see if she's serious about setting first--my criteria is staying on the nest 2 nights in a row. If she does that, I give her eggs to hatch.

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    She sounds broody to me. I had white and exchequer leghorns go broody!

5. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    I've never had a broody hen, but she sounds somewhat serious! It's just amazing that a hen will go from a sweet little chicken to Godzilla when the go broody! Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by