A CALL OUT for responsible pet ownership! Unwanted roos, ducks, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad to hear from so many responsible chicken owners on here! What a relief! One reads all these posts and they seem so one-sided....distress calls about what to do with the unwanted. They were wanted once, weren't they?

I know it's a little late for those who jumped into this thing and are now standing there with this problem in their hands.....but let that be a lesson for the future. Please don't let it happen again and spread the word to those even thinking of getting into chicken ownership. Knowledge is power and responsible use of that knowledge is imperative!

Show TRUE love to these animals... plan before you get them.

Believe me..In my small town people are shocked I process out my own birds..me..myself..and I no help-no one wants to help. People call me to help butcher theirs all the time because they cannot. If I can't sell-or give away free roos they get processed-no questions asked-it's the way of life at my house-it's the responsible thing to do after all. I firmly believe folks should have sure things lined up if they plan to hatch or order straight run-long before you start collecting birds and all the extra roos. I'm tired of hearing "what do I do?" Get a clue first then proceed..If you can't sell or give away then butcher.or .hire someone to do it...if you can't find anyone to do it. Get your big girl/boy pants on and do it yourself...Why is this so hard to understand? Alot of folks get really lucky to have places that will take unwanted roos to live on or to process..Folks like me have no one and nothing to turn to when there are too many roos-I'm on my own! I do the right thing-it sucks but I do it-I have to...

Last edited:
I've never found it easy to kill another creature unless that creature is threatening me or mine~even then it doesn't feel good. Having said that, why do people expect life to always be easy? Some things in life are hard....get over it, get it done quickly and adjust to the fact that you may have to do it again. Thank God there are soldiers out there protecting our freedom with the same mindset....it's a hard job but someone has to do it!

Dear BeeKissed,
I am a fairly new chicken/duck raiser. I agree with you. We have only female chickens and only male ducks and it works out well for us. Responsible ownership, responsible parenting.

We also have fences and proper shelters. In addition to the number of distress calls on this list from people who are overwhelmed by too many birds, there are too many posts from people who live in areas without proper fencing and then complain about dogs getting off chains or running wild. It seems that life is cheap.

On the other hand, I have learned a lot about life reading BackYardChickens, and it beats reality tv
smile.png

I'm very fortunate because I have a large piece of land in a very rural area, so my extra roos go in a bachelor pen until they are big enough to free range, then they go on "bug patrol." Once my main flock is back in their pen for the day, I open the gate to the bachelor pen and let the boys out until bedtime. They live a happy, productive life keeping the place free of pests until it's time for "freezer camp." Like anyone who free ranges birds, I suffer the occasional loss to predation, but it's very occasional, and at least I know these boys aren't getting shoved into some tiny cage or stinky, overpopulated run to live a miserable life until someone finally puts them out of their misery, and I know that once it is time to replenish the freezer, they will meet their end in as stress-free and painless a way as possible. I get what the op is saying ... it's not that getting or hatching roos is irresponsible, it's that doing so without a clear concept of exactly what the entails is irresponsible. Diving in without thinking it through is symptomatic of the "it's just a chicken" mentality ... it means the "diver" is not really engaging the concept that these are living animals that deserve our best efforts as custodians. In that respect, it is just like the problem with rampant overbreeding of cats and dogs ... the "they're just a dog" or "just a cat" mentality transferred to feathered pets. I don't think the op is talking about us true "chicken nuts" but rather about those people who get chickens because "it might be cool" and do it without recognizing that ownership as conveying serious responsibilities as with any animal, whether it be a pet or livestock. The posts I love to read on here are the ones where a poster says "I don't have chickens yet, but I'm learning..." Those will be lucky chickens.

Beardiemom, it sure does!
lol.png
And you are right! The lack of proper fencing, shelter or predator control is always distressing to hear as well. Things happen that cannot be controlled 100% but it behooves one to try and try again to insure that the flock is safe as possible.

I really hate hearing the posts about folks who free range and lose their whole flock~but when you read closer they didn't have any protection for their free ranged flock. Then they are dead set against anyone free ranging and think people are heartless if they do free range.

One can only free range effectively~and even that is not foolproof~if you have electric poultry netting that you move from place to place , LGDs free ranging with the flock, a chicken tractor that you move, or you are in constant attendance. One cannot expect a roo to protect his flock from predators that love to eat chicken.....he ARE one.
wink.png

Last edited:
Beekist I agree! Always have a plan in place or don't breed. We are fortunate to have a lot of people around here who will PAY to take away your extra roos for food, but for people who don't, dont hatch unless you know you can give them a good life, or know someone/somewhere who will humanly eat them or keep them as pets. We all love our animals, give them the very best.

Mark

I so agree with all that was said. When Hubby and I decided to get into chickens, I spent 6 months researching everything I could find about the breeds, health, requirements, housing and such. We planned out the coop, picked the area, had all the supplies ready and then got the birds. We are fully prepared to process our birds and to only hatch that which we are wanting. I've been educating my neighbors and family as much as possible to chickens & ducks. Don't want them to see my beautiful birds and see how "easy" it for me to care for them and run out and get some for themselves. No one has yet to get any. I don't discourage them, but educate them as to what is needed and the sacrifices needed to keep healthy birds.
Yesterday I took my BO to the vet and spent $22 on getting her better, why?, because we decided before ever getting her that she would be our broody hen and would remain here long after the others are gone. That is if she turns out to be very motherly, otherwise she will be replaced.
We planned for 5 years and after that, we will decide on staying in or getting out of the chicken business.

When ordering from a hatchery this spring we had decided on 2 roos 1 for the orpingtons, 1 for the buff brahmas,there was 6 pullets brahama as well, the rest they sent as packing peanuts will go to freezer camp when the time comes. We are hoping for sustainable meat & eggs when everyone reaches maturity. I take good care of my chickens but they don't have names, (it's hard to eat something you have treated as a pet ) they do get treats , they are enjoyed for their antics. If they aren't well provided for they in the end result can not provide for me . It is a give & take relationship & as with any relationship it comes with boundries. I have dogs for pets & companionship, but they know their boundries as well. Some people need to yes understand husbandry & respect their animals for what they are. Yes I know this is not a popular vocalization here as well. But don't be hatching with no plan for your chicks be they roo or pullet. All these roos are quite tastey no matter how they are cooked
droolin.gif
, you can be sure that that what you are buying in the grocery store ain't all pullets. Don't fall into the newest fad , trend , if you aren't going to be responsible , this is where being an adult matters.
smile.png

Quote:
Excellent process! I did the same for each animal I've ever owned. When I wanted bees I studied and gleaned information for 3-4 years and carefully planned for their care and continuation. I built the hive, purchased the equipment, etc...all before I ever purchased bees.

When I wanted sheep, I studied all the breeds, care, breeding and all aspects of keeping sheep, for 3 years I studied...then I built their shelter~ a place to keep them confined for inspection, treatment, lambing and food storage. THEN I bought my sheep.

I know we all can obtain animals unexpectedly out of compassion...I once got a milk cow that way. I cared for her as best I could, got her back to health and sold her to someone who actually had the proper facilities and ways to keep her better.

But...animals that we intend to become part of our lives need some aforethought. I love to hear of others who put on their thinking caps before obtaining an animal....or even having a child. One can get by with not having a plan for a child's college education...but shelter, food, love and moral instruction all need to be planned thoroughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom