A chick just hatched and looks like his insides are coming out!

glad he/she is doing okay. I just had mine hatch and when he flipped on his back, I see that it looks like his navel is not all the way closed and the egg yolk/umbilical cord coming out some. I hope he/she turns out okay because I only had one hatch. I only had one egg that developed. I was excited because I had to help it out and when I went in it was trying to stand and walk and then it flipped and I saw its navel area. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out.

I know it is tough. SO far he still looks good. He is eating and drinking and running around just fine. Hopefully yours pulls through, but I would keep a close eye on him. Make sure he is out of the bater and in a lower humidity area to help it dry.

I hatched hundreds of chicks last year and have seen all kinds of abnormalities. I agree this looks like a rough navel.

I would recommend putting blue-kote on the navel. You can get it at your feed store and it works great. It has some antibiotic properties and will cover the area so the other chicks will not "see" it.

I also found blue-kote is great for temporarily marking chicks for my breeding purposes. A blue dot on the head will last quite a long time as it is the last area to feather out.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom