A chick just hatched and looks like his insides are coming out!

it might close up get some iodine and put on it to keep it clean. my chicks intestines were hanging out about 2 inches this just looks like a rough belly button

Hey Suz, Thanks for the suggestion of liquid bandage. I cant say for sure that he is going to make it, but we cleaned the area of the food and stuff that was stuck to him and applied the liquid bandage. We were gone for a few hours and he seems to be doing better now. The seeping has stopped it seems, and part of what was hanging out (still not sure if it was part of the yolk sac or what) has dried up and mostly fallen off of him. Now he just has a dark 'nub' that is dried on his belly. I also sprayed it with iodine this evening. He is still seperated since the second I put him in with the others they started picking on him.

I will let you know how this goes...I am crossing my fingers! Thanks for your help!
Melissa

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

If it is big and pink, the size of a dime or so, it is often called a rough naval. As long as other chicks don't peck at it and pull it out, they normally dry up and get "sucked" into the chick within a day or two. I would have just left it be and let it adsorb on it's own. Good luck!

I'm sorry you're going through this. I went through 2 hatches just like that where I had severa chicks like him. I had to put them down. It was VERY heartbreaking, but most of them couldn't move & ones that could were bleeding every where. I sure hope he gets better. If he's eating & pooping...then he certainly has a good chance I would think.
kristi

I couldnt just leave it because it went from looking completely normal...to a little pussy...to things hanging within minutes. I think had I left it it would all have come out. He seems to be eating, and he is certainly pooping fine. All of my chicks have the same father, but different mothers. But they are all fed the same diets.

I will just keep crossing my fingers that he gets past it! Thanks guys! Oh...and my fiance had an intervention for me. He seems to think that I am addicted to chickens, and forums about chickens!
smile.png

Oh, I am hanging on pins and needles over this one and totally losing sleep over this happening to me in the next couple of days. I can't wait to here how this little one turns out!!

Hi! The best thing to do at this point is seperate the chick and keep her warm and dark. The other chicks, if they haven't already, will pounce on it.
That will give it time to absorb the extra or at least dry it up.
I hope by morning, you have a happy chick!

Lisa

So far so good...he is still not happy being seperated, but he is moving around just fine. My luck is that he will pull through this and after all this worrying we will find out it is a roo! We only have room for one...so any other go to the pot.
smile.png
Either way...at least he is doing better today. I will keep him seperated another day or more until I know he is strong enough to take care of himself with the other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom