A chick that won't open its eyes

JustAnotherWeirdo

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2023
This morning we noticed that one of our light sussex chicks (2 days old) wasn't opening her eyes so i gently cleaned them with salt water and it opened its eyes. As soon as i put the chick back in the brooder it closed it eyes. I made sure it drinks water but i havent seen it eating.

Why is this happening and is there anything i can do about it?

This morning we noticed that one of our light sussex chicks (2 days old) wasn't opening her eyes so i gently cleaned them with salt water and it opened its eyes. As soon as i put the chick back in the brooder it closed it eyes. I made sure it drinks water but i havent seen it eating.

Why is this happening and is there anything i can do about it?
Did you hatch it at home, was it shipped? is it literally 2 days old?

Don't worry about the eyes.. being closed may be a symptom of lethargy. Double check it's bumm is clear, have you seen it poop? Does it stand up and move out of the way when other chicks bump it. move into or out of heat. etc.. what is heat source? Do you hear any crackling when it breathes?

Are you in the US? Do you have access to any Poultry Nutri drench?

Did you hatch it at home, was it shipped? is it literally 2 days old?

Don't worry about the eyes.. being closed may be a symptom of lethargy. Double check it's bumm is clear, have you seen it poop? Does it stand up and move out of the way when other chicks bump it. move into or out of heat. etc.. what is heat source? Do you hear any crackling when it breathes?

Are you in the US? Do you have access to any Poultry Nutri drench?
I hatched the chick myself and it was the last one to hatch so they usually have a lower chance of survival in my experience.

theres no sign of pasty butt or anything like that and it moves around just fine without bumping into the food bowl or other chicks.

I hear no strange breathing sounds

and I am not in the US and live in a very small town but I can see at the vet and “farmers store” if there’s something like nutri drench tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom