A coop with no windows. Does this matter?

Thank you for all of your responses. However, this thread about light has largely turned into a thread about ventilation. My initial post clearly states, "The coop is well ventilated ..." I already definitively and completely understand the importance of proper ventilation. My coop does not have a ventilation problem, nor are my questions about ventilation. My questions are about light. Sooooo, an extra special thanks to the folks who addressed my actual questions.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your responses. However, this thread about light has largely turned into a thread about ventilation. My initial post clearly states, "The coop is well ventilated ..." I already definitively and completely understand the importance of proper ventilation. My coop does not have a ventilation problem, nor are my questions about ventilation. My questions are about light. Sooooo, an extra special thanks to the folks who addressed my actual questions.
It's common here at BYC for threads to divert/drift to connected topics....
......sometimes they totally turn into an all out gabbing chat fest that has nothing to do with the thread title or even chickens for that matter.

Ventilation and natural lighting are usually interconnected and most newbies do not have enough ventilation, even when they think they do.

We're just trying to help, that's why you were asked about your ventilation and for pictures of your coop to help you incorporate light and possibly more ventilation.

But....Yes, chickens need natural light in the coop.

I built a very small coop for my chickens last year... it had basically no ventilation and no light. There was a gap around the roof (I had the roof as a flip-top, so there was a small crack where light came in and out, as well as air. Other than that, it was built directly on the dirt with no floor, walls made of 2x12's put together with no gaps.

This was before I knew about ventilation.

my chickens lived in that coop, closed up (it was a hard winter and I didn't ever open it to let them out because the snow was above the level of their door) from December 2 through spring.

They all lived, quite happily, and even began laying eggs in the middle of January.

They were isa browns I had picked up at TSC on Labor day.

So while I think light *would* help them keep up their laying, I doubt that it's necessary.

I have since built a larger coop that does have a lot of ventilation and even a small window. But it is 1 small window, and it faces north.

I'm pretty flexible about my chickens, they're livestock, I do my best for them but I can't afford to run light bulbs and heat lamps in a coop all winter when it's unnecessary. If they slow down laying, so be it. They probably need the break anyway. I've been getting an average of 10 eggs per day from 10 hens and 1 female duck, so I can't complain!

suliah, interesting report.

I think the openigs at the top were important for getting humidity and pathogens out and fresh air in.

First year chickens can't hardly help but lay regardless of light. In future years, it may be different.

If I'm correct, you only have a coop, but no run?

Building a run would solve the dark during the day problem. Free ranging is great, but I believe every chicken keeper should have a way to confine their flock safely for a few days if needed. You may never need it, but there are plenty of scenarios that could keep you from being able to supervise your birds during the day...

Flu season is coming. You may get ill.
You may have a predator issue and need to confine them until you can eliminate the predator.
You may want to go on vacation.
You may have a family member with an emergency that calls you out of town.

And on and on and on.

confining them to a dark coop a few hours a few times a week may not be the best thing, but probably won't mess them up too much. But, life doesn't always go as planned!

Ventilation and natural lighting are usually interconnected and most newbies do not have enough ventilation, even when they think they do.

I agree with both assertions. I think a lot of people would benefit from the awareness of what's called an open air coop. I'm not suggesting that everyone should use one, but that it exists as sufficient, suitable housing (when actualized properly). I think the realization that this type of chicken coop has a history of proven success would help people understand some of the "silliness" concerning heating, as well as assist in clearing up the never ending confusion about coop ventilation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/126634/open-air-coops

If I'm correct, you only have a coop, but no run?

Building a run would solve the dark during the day problem. Free ranging is great, but I believe every chicken keeper should have a way to confine their flock safely for a few days if needed. You may never need it, but there are plenty of scenarios that could keep you from being able to supervise your birds during the day...

Flu season is coming. You may get ill.
You may have a predator issue and need to confine them until you can eliminate the predator.
You may want to go on vacation.
You may have a family member with an emergency that calls you out of town.

And on and on and on.

confining them to a dark coop a few hours a few times a week may not be the best thing, but probably won't mess them up too much. But, life doesn't always go as planned!

You are correct about me only having a coop and no run. ^^Every word of this advice is pure gold. Thank you.

Last edited:
I see I'm late to the party, but I'll chime in anyway. Everything Donrae said. Another thing to think about is this coming winter. You live where it gets cold and snowy. Your chickens may not choose to go outside much during the winter. Is it big enough that they will not be crowded? As far as light, I would put a window in or something just so they can get some light during the winter months. Who wants to live in the dark for several months? As stated above, as first year layers it won't make much difference. It will next year, though. Congratulations on your new flock - enjoy!

Your chickens may not choose to go outside much during the winter. Is it big enough that they will not be crowded?

Insightful. Yes, it is big enough.

As far as light, I would put a window in or something just so they can get some light during the winter months. Congratulations on your new flock - enjoy!

The entire top of my coop props open/can be removed. There is plenty of light while I'm home. My concern is about light when I run errands for an hour or two. Thanks, I'm enjoying them very much.

My next coop will be bigger, definitely have have a window or two, and house more chickens. I wonder if anyone else knows that this can be addicting.
wink.png

... an open air coop. ...
I think the realization that this type of chicken coop has a history of proven success would help people understand some of the "silliness" concerning heating,...
X2

I wonder if anyone else knows that this can be addicting.
wink.png
Really? I didn't know.
cool.png
After a long chicken hiatus, I was going to get 6 pullets, I brought 10 home. Within 3 months I had 100.

Back
Top Bottom