A Coturnix Quail Standard

The Silver homozygote should be all white, the the heterozygote would have silver tinting...which brings forth the silver recessive which is where you can only breed homozygote males with heterozygote females. You would NEED a SILVER to produce the mating correctly.

Quote:
tongue.gif

Anyone here have pictures of the Silver color? It sounds cool, especially because it would seem cool to see a breeder one day who could specialize in Silver and Gold Coturnix. Sounds fancy.. and for some reason it sounds like a new Pokemon, lol. Yano.. Silver and Gold versions.. Lol, it's probably a generational thing.

Quote:
I read about this somewhere, forgot where, but it sounded like the size difference in the Manchurian was more of what breeders of that color variety wanted. The best way I know how to explain this is how I have heard goats explained, seeing as how goats are another animal without strict breed standards (dairy goats all sorta fit into one standard and meats in another). Back to quail, the Manchurians with darker heads are considered the sort of vintage standard for this variety and people have just bred them for different colors over time. I don't doubt that the size also played a part, but like I said this was all picked-up in passing. Pretty sure it was a website based in Europe too.

From now on I'm just going to start bookmarking all the interesting Quail info I come across
big_smile.png

This thread took an icky turn. I need a shower.
smile.png

All I was trying say was that all coturnix can be identified by 3 descriptions or less. Size/color/pattern. Designer names like "Panda" "Bumblebee" "TA&M" and "Joe125 super quail" should be rejected. I can't un-ring any bells, but I would like to.

I also don't want to read scanned xerox copies of circa 1960 ditto explanations of why a bizillion dollars were spent to develop "A CHICKEN REPLACEMENT" that failed. Sorry.... I just don't have the time.

The size conundrum. 14 oz is the absolute top end in any coturnix line. Sorry, but the 16 oz. + coturnix is the same mobyquail myth that will produce a 16 oz. all white meat bird that tastes exactly like "insert your favorite poultry".
Coturnix of any size or color taste exactly like coturnix. Darn fine tasting to to me!

I may not be able to identify the exact scientific color, but I can put any bird on a scale and figure out the weight.

Joe, when you are breaking down your sizes, what would you consider a Jumbo to be? What is the cut off for when it just becomes a large standard quail?

Quote:
9+ oz (Roo weight at 10 weeks) are jumbo in my world. Anything less than that are regulars. (Nothing wrong with with regulars, btw).
Coturnix are not the most consistent poultry in the size arena, so I cut them some slack there. I just know that a 1# coturnix...is few and far between (Actually it does not exist) .

If I have any vote in the size area, then I I would say....8 oz. regular, 9+ oz. jumbo. Knowing that there is no such thing as a 16 oz. coturnix. Sorry A&M myth people that do endless research of theory but haven't hatched/brooded a single coturnix quail. How is that working for you?

Sorry, I digress. Next is the color. That's a big old can of worms. Apparently this is REAL HARD for people to figure out, because of all those color swatches at home depot. Do we really need 99 shades of "beige" to choose from?
This should be a "No brain er", but go figure!

Pattern is the next thing. Only 3 things there.

Back
Top Bottom