A couple of questions about chicken behavior . . .

suziesmommy08

Hatching
10 Years
May 30, 2009
I am new to this and have a few varieties of chickens. 1 of them, supposedly a D'Anver, is a little girl, and she seems to be digging a hole in the ground, like making a bed or nest, but she is only about 1 and a half months old, is this normal? I mean, its in the dirt, when I let her free range out there, she hides in my plants and does it, lol, I really have to look for her.

Also, how will I be able to tell if my straight run silkies are roosters? I mean, how soon will there be differences? I am just curious. I love my chickens, I just want to name them some how and if I don't know if they are a boy or a girl, then I don't know what to name them!

Thanks in advance.

Helen

The hole digging is very normal, mine always do it, they love the cool soil and it creates extra soil to dust with. How old are you silkies it will take many months to tell the sex. We name ours with a unisex name.

The digging is how they bathe. It will get very hilarious as they get bigger.
As far as naming them you could use names like Sam, Chris, Pat..., if you are unsure about the gender.

they love to dig and flomp around! do not panic if they lay there in a heap! they are just having fun and getting clean

i cant tell you on how to tell the males from females but i always look for more prominent combs, and my roos seem to be more feisty and rough and tumble. when they start crowing you'll swear they are being strangled... but they are just finding their voice
:)

Getting clean? Thats weird, lol. But I only noticed that the D'Anver did it, not any of my others. As far as my silkies, they are 2 days old, lol, we just got them, and then I have some other chickens that are a little older. We were letting them run around outside, because it was a good day, and they seemed to love eating the bugs, hehe, which I knew, but it was neat to watch. They are so much fun. Now I just have to build their hen house and run . . .

Helen

Back
Top Bottom