A couple problems with my mini rexes

CARS

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Saint James/ Comfrey MN
First problem. I breed my 1 year old doe, 34 days passed and no fur in the nesting box so I am assuming that she either absorbed the fetus or something else didn't work. That is fine, i'll try again. I pulled the nesting box and went about my life. 2 days later, a dead newborn on the cage floor! I really screwed this up.
sad.png
And now she is pulling fur!!!
hmm.png

Is this just a first time mother problem? She didn't know what to do and when to do it?? How long do you leave the box in before giving up???

Second problem. I tried breeding my 4 year old doe. The buck is "going to town" but not "falling over" like normal. He just keeps trying with no luck.

Is she too old to breed? Should I keep trying?? If so, how often???

Sorry you are having problems. When I breed my rabbits I always leave the nest box in for a week after they were due. As far as your other question I am unable to help. Good Luck.

So you have a 1 year old doe that has not had a litter (before the one dead kit), and a 4 year old buck? Sometimes does mess up on their first litters-it happens a lot. For the baby to be that late, there was likely a problem with it. I put my nest boxes in on the 27th day and leave them in 3-4 days past the due date.

As for the buck not falling over-are you standing there watching the whole time? Is the doe lifting for him?

sorry about your doe and her litter. If she is pulling fur now and making a nest and you plan to breed her again then you should save the fur she pulls now. Put it in like a paper bag so next time, if she still doesnt make a nest before she gives birth, you can put that fur in for her to help her along.

About your other problem- I have 2 does that wont lift for the buck during breeding so he doesnt fall. When it happens try lifting her rear end a little during the breeding. If this doesnt work you may have to wait cuz she might just not be ready.
The age of the 4 yr old doe doesnt matter very much, unless it is her first litter. If it is not a successful breeding keep trying every few months- if you do have a successfull breeding, try to breed them once or twice in a row, wait a few hours, then breed them again a few times if you can. It will increase the chance of getting a litter and having it larger than just 1.

Coffee momma, you are right about the age of the buck. And the doe.

tay26, I will try lifting. Thanks for the idea. It's not her first litter, however we have had some problems in the past.

(you can read all the books you want about rabbits but they are very fussy animals to breed. I haven't made the same mistake twice, but I have made many different mistakes with my bunnies
sad.png
)

Thanks to you 3 who have responded so far. Maybe who ever suggested a separate section in this forum for rabbits is on to something. I'm just doing this for fun and for the kids. I'd hate to be having these problems trying to make ends meet raising rabbits!

You have gotten some good advice. If this has been a recurring problem with dead kits, I suggest changing feed. Also, your doe is probably not ready if she is not lifting. To determine if a doe is ready, do like you would be sexing her - if the vent is swollen and purplish red she is ready, if not and just pink wait and check her again in a few days. You did everything right - the kit was probably already dead or a breach-that is why it was late. Please feel free to email me with any questions. I have 33 years experience and have had about everything imaginable happen in that time.

Good luck and keep trying...

Back
Top Bottom