A Day With My Flock

silly me let the chickens out this morning through the mom door didn't unlock the chickie door and poor harmony and her chicks were stuck inside all day. Then all the big hens were stuck outside and couldn't lay eggs. There was a line up when I came home at the chicky door for the one and only nest they will all use!

it's a good thing I leave food and water in the green house for them also!

I came home from work to much chastising. happy hump day!

Today I am Sophia. PEEP!
big_smile.png
I just like to hear myself talk.
bun.gif
PEEP! I live in a broody box with my sister, cousin, foster mom Josie. PEEP! It's not very big and we are growing out of it fast. PEEP! I run circles around Josie in the 3x3x3 pen.
wee.gif
PEEP! Josie never wants to do as I say. PEEP PEEP PEEP! Josie and I are misfits who just can't integrate into the flock. PEEP! I think it is because Josie is a big chicken! PEEP!
D.gif

In the evening neighbors come and ask what is wrong in mom's coop. PEEP! Who is doing all that complaining? PEEP! Is everyone ok? PEEP PEEP PEEP! The nearest neighbor is an acre away.... PEEP! But it is just me driving the others bonkers! PEEP! I want Josie to cuddle me and she won't. PEEP! I like it when Mom picks me up and I can bury my head in her jacket. PEEP! Mom is warm. PEEP!

Mom took some pics of us all yesterday with a funny noise making machine we all found very interesting. PEEP!

This is me! PEEP! Mom says I'm not playing with a full set of feathers. PEEP! Literally and figuratively! PEEP! But I am very soft she says. PEEP! My feet are so pretty with all the feathers. PEEP!

This is Josie in the front and me in the back. PEEP! You can see our markings are not the same but we come from the same hen and roo. PEEP! That's the Icelandic in us and the feathered feet is the Brahma. PEEP! Otherwise we look like silver laced and silver Wyandottes. PEEP!

Harmony just butted in to show you the picture of her babies, Lizzy and Mitzi.
jumpy.gif
PEEP! PEEP! PEEP! SQUAWK! Those babies don't know a thing about staying in the coop for 3 months and staying warm under a heat lamp. PEEP! They eat all sorts of stuff and then they eat the crumble mom leaves for them later. PEEP! And they are great flyers. PEEP! Mom was all worried about them not being able to get back in the coop until one flew past her! PEEP! Harmony is a great fierce mama! PEEP!

I am fierce too! PEEP! I don't run away but chase the bigger hens if they turn their backs on me. PEEP! I pull at their tail feathers and run away. PEEP! Josie and I are lowest on the pecking order so we chase and pester the wild birds that come in to eat our food. PEEP!

Now Giselle is pushing her way in! PEEP! PEEP! She wants to know if these feathers make her look fat PEEP! I told her not to blame the feathers.... PEEP!
lau.gif

This is everyone wondering what that sound is coming from Mom. PEEP!

Mom has been turning over some dirt for us and there are great big fat worms to eat! PEEP! I steal the ones she throws for Josie. PEEP! They are like spaghetti to us. PEEP!

I wish the Man would build us a bigger yard and coop. PEEP!

I have to go see what Josie has found for our dinner now. PEEP! I don't damage my pretty feet digging so I let her find the food and then I steal it. PEEP!

I am grateful I have an easy going friend like Josie and my mom to protect me. PEEP! I am happy mom accepts my noise with a smile even if I am loud and never ending. PEEP! PEEP! PEEP! PEEP!

PEEP!
love.gif

Hello my friends!
ya.gif
More news!

First of all, the weather is great here on the Wet Coast of Canada. All our igloos have melted but we are not homeless as we head to the shores of the lakes and oceans and build sand castles to live in. The sun is shining brightly and the days are warm enough for shorts and tank tops. Also a good time to moult if you must! This weekend is going to be super!
fl.gif

Other news, Bo is broody again and I have gotten her 12 eggs to start with. Barred rocks, Light Sussex', Ameracauna, Ameracuana X silkie and Caramel Queens. You'll be happy to know I am hatching them out for 2 other people and not keeping all this joy and poop for myself! They should hatch the end of the month I hope.... I'll be happy if 6-8 hatch.
celebrate.gif

I think I have decided to home Josie and Sophie with one set of the chicks to a neighbor and Mitzi and Lizzy to my boss's MIL with the rest of the future chicks. Josie is a love, Sophie is... well Sophie. Mitzi and Lizzy are as wild as their Mama now!

Speaking of M and L, Mama had them roosting up with the ladies this morning! They go all over the yard, garden and green house with her now. They are great little fliers. Since I can't get near them their personalities have not been made known to me. I had to catch Lizzy yesterday and she is a screamer! Mitzi decided to save herself from me and ran! I guess it comes down to everyone saves themselves with this crew. I think I saw her trip Lizzy as she ran so Lizzy would be the one eaten by the big bad lady. What stories Mama must be telling them... I don't even eat chicken!!
ep.gif

Anyway, she has hurt my feeling. My one and only feeling I have time to spare these days.

I was planning on getting some Frizzle eggs too! I have no idea what kind of a frizzle they are as the woman went into the hospital and I and Bo could wait no longer. She was/ is going to give me a Black breasted red old English game bantam too! He is 2 weeks old and I am hoping she can keep him awhile longer as I don't have time to have "another" separate crate to deal with.

The good news is DH has started on the coop add on!!!!! It will only be twice the size but the yard is having another yard built on it and it will be another 22x30 ft.! I plan to make a garden out of it for probably only the first year until it is as dead as their current yard.... Yellow Forsythia, bay laurel, A weeping pussy willow, a hazelnut tree and maybe an ornamental cherry tree. A butterfly bush and some... I forget what they are called but they are invasive, long stemmed with tiny rows of red or orange flowers going up to the tip. I must have bushes and stuff for chickies to hide under as this yard will not be netted over. The broody house yard will stay netted tho. Now the fence is only going to be 4 ft high but I plan to put some uprights on the posts and put netting up to 8 ft to stop the adventure seeking Giselle from escape.

I want to paint the uprights and trim purple, the coop lilac and the door, and trim? yellow. I don't know!

I already have a patio set out there and I am considering brick work under it as we sink into the lawn during the rainy seasons. Yes seasonS. (It makes it hard sometimes to find snow and ice for those igloos...) Bay laurel around the outside of the fence, forsythia and those little red flower things I mentioned, on the inside. Bushes and trees in strategic locations. I bought the fencing, 2x4in 14 gauge 4 ft high by 100ft today. $92. Good thing I have that second job that pays silly money!!!

As soon as the fence goes in and the old one comes out, DH can continue to build away. To bad he framed the coop in but the broody cage is in the middle of it still.... 3x3x3 hahahaha I guess he didn't think.
old.gif
Mind you I kinda still need it in there for Bo. Once all that is done I can close off the green house to birds and start my gardening. Right now it looks like the hens had a pillow fight in there today!

I will be glad when all is complete and there is enough feeders and waters to go around with the various feeds in them, the mud has dried and new grass comes in and I can sit and enjoy it all. What am I saying?! Then there will be planting, watering, pruning and still 2 jobs to do. I think I shall have to give up reading and cooking and maybe sleep. Sorry DH....
love.gif

This morning I let the hens out and the two little ones Lizzy and Mitzi. Bo was squawking up a storm!
D.gif
I checked to find one of her eggs kinda crushed, the chick alive and inside 3/4 of the shell. Bo was furiously trying to clean up the blood and pecking at the chick like she was going to eat it too.
sickbyc.gif
I finally decided to remove the egg to the brooder to see if it will hatch out in there.

I picked off what shattered shell I could on the one side because I'm not sure it still had the air sack after the crushing and I wanted to make sure it had air. I think I was going back to the ABC's of first aid.

I think if there is that much blood in the shell there will be that much less in the chick. Not good. Also since this chick did not have to hatch itself it may be a weak one. My fear now is that the umbilical will not be closed up.... death.
sad.png

But for now it still breathes and moves a bit. Head is still tucked under. I keep hope for this little Light Sussex chick.
fl.gif

Bo hatched a baby a week ago too. Pippi Longstocking is her name and she is an Ameracauna X.
jumpy.gif
Someone that I bought eggs from gave me one that was already a week into life apparently.....
rant.gif
I bought 12 eggs from various breeders all suppose hatch April 29. I had to remove Pippi so that Bo would continue with the other eggs.

OK back to the brooder to chick check! Wish me luck.
love.gif

B.

little Bo had six babies tonight. 2 eggs left to go.

so now I need to re introduce pippi to her mother and her siblings. I just picked up bo and put down pippi and pippi ran right to the babies and I plunked Bo right on toP! took 3 tries but they've settled in. Hopefully pippi will still be alive in the morning and tomorrow evening.....

Back
Top Bottom