A dead chicken around a dog's neck?

Morgank

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
Europe, Estonia
First of all, I'm not from the US. I was answered under another topic that dogs that kill a chicken are placed on the neck of a dead chicken until it rots. I have never heard such a punishment on dogs in my life. I can't even imagine such an action. Is this true?

As dogs love rotten meat of whatever origin and even like to wallow in the remains of dead animals found, I do not see how this absurd "training method" would help to cure a dogs innate hunting/prey drive.

I heard of it years and years ago when I was a kid.
More recently, I have seen demonstrated, on a dog training tv show, that a shoe chewed up by a dog was then fastened to the dog's collar and he had to carry it around, dangling from his neck. Supposedly it stopped the behavior.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm not from the US. I was answered under another topic that dogs that kill a chicken are placed on the neck of a dead chicken until it rots. I have never heard such a punishment on dogs in my life. I can't even imagine such an action. Is this true?
I would never ever do that and have never known anyone to do that it is cruel so no it is not normal practice

You know my beagles have taken off and come back and omg nasty I gave them a bath outside gaging

Yeah we had just about every hunting breed growing up and they all done it. They would go down to our barn and jump in the cow manure pile all the time.:sick
Was always told they do it to cover their own scent so when hunting their prey doesn't smell them.

Back
Top Bottom