A deformed foot

Leo smith

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2022
I rescued a silkie rooster last year and only now got to actually look at his feet. I know that silkies have 5 toes but my silkie seems to have some deformity on his feet. First of all one of his spurs are growing kind of awkward like if we let it grow anymore then it'd penetrate his leg(we cut it don't worry). But he seems to have more then 5 toes on one foot. I want to breed silkies because there's not enough silkie breeders in my area. But I don't want to breed with this rooster. He's past his maturing age probably around 2 and a half years I think. I want to neuter him but I can't seem to find any way to do it and I'm a little bit nervous of the ways I've seen. Can I neuter him or do I have to separate him but if I separate him then he'll be alone because the other flock I have isn't very silkie friendly and I already have two roosters there. What should I do I need a little help here.

House him separately with his own flock of a couple of cull ladies. Very likely you have a few ladies you don't wish to breed forward with (culls), so make him a flock. You don't have to hatch eggs from this flock at all, just collect eggs daily.

Re-home him, or re-home him with your cull hens as a couple, trio, etc. Be truthful in your ad, these are pet quality only.

One other option would be to invite him to dinner.

I would not recommend neutering him. Caponizing is done at around 6-8 weeks of age and is risky even then. You have a mature rooster, why put him through something that would likely kill him.

House him separately with his own flock of a couple of cull ladies. Very likely you have a few ladies you don't wish to breed forward with (culls), so make him a flock. You don't have to hatch eggs from this flock at all, just collect eggs daily.

Re-home him, or re-home him with your cull hens as a couple, trio, etc. Be truthful in your ad, these are pet quality only.

One other option would be to invite him to dinner.

I would not recommend neutering him. Caponizing is done at around 6-8 weeks of age and is risky even then. You have a mature rooster, why put him through something that would likely kill him.
Thanks for this I've grown rather close with this rooster so I think we'll be eating separately for a while😂. For some reason my small head didn't think about separating him from my breeding flock thanks so much for this you've been a great help.

Back
Top Bottom