A...delicate question about maturing roosters, LOL....f

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
So, I have 2 roosters maturing at the same time, though over the last few days we've seen one taking the alpha position, and spending a lot of time chasing the other one around the yard and away from "his" girls. Anyway, the alpha is "getting his groove on" about every 2.7 minutes, all day long. My question, and trying hard to keep this as clean as possible...mating that much...how much...uh....ammo, does he have in his gun on a daily basis, and how much of his mating is not resulting in fertilizing the target?

That was exhausting just asking....

Also, regarding the non-alpha roo...right now we have 11 layers, with another 20 coming to maturity over the next 4 or 5 months. While he was the first to mate the hens, he's now finding himself either not mating at all, or very rarely, once or twice a day, mating one of the almost ready to lay hens, who don't really dig it very much, LOL. Once things settle down, will he likely have his pick of a few of the 30 hens? Or will he just get chased away until the alpha dies off?

Ok your post was a little difficult to understand because you where trying to be so 'clean' so let me see if I got it right: you have two roosters, one of them is the top dog and he is mounting the girls every couple of minutes and you want to know how much semen he has left and how much of it is going towards fertalizing the eggs and if the other rooster will even mount the hens, right?
Every 2.7 minutes!!!?!?!?!!??!?!?
ep.gif
wow. that guy is serious about his job. his body is constantly producing sperm so he isn't going to run out. 100 % of that is going towards fertalization. and the rooster who is lower on the pecking order won't mount the hens unless the top rooster isn't around. hope that was helpfull!

I have a EE and a BCM rooster and both will try to give some lovings to the hens after they exit the coup and love a couple of hens before they go to bed that they missed. And mabey 1 out of three times I would guess they actually succeed in fully facilitating fertilization as they kick one one another off the hens, it is not violent fighting and quite funny to watch.

I have a EE and a BCM rooster and both will try to give some lovings to the hens after they exit the coup and love a couple of hens before they go to bed that they missed. And mabey 1 out of three times I would guess they actually succeed in fully facilitating fertilization as they kick one one another off the hens, it is not violent fighting and quite funny to watch.

loving?
lol.png
the hens don't seem to enjoy it.

Humorless, completely humorless
lol.png

Probably right during most of the day. But in the morning and the last couple hours in the evening...probably closer to 2.7 minutes....

I just had a thought, is he on one hen or is he just mounting each hen once? because that would make more sense........

He works his way through all of them over and over all day. He's only been doing this for a couple weeks, so his hormones are raging. He does favor some of them more than the others though.

Back
Top Bottom