A depressed hen?

Hmm, no. Broody hens sit on the nest all floppy. They can come in and out but they don’t behave as you said. The diet advice was good advice. I hope she doesn’t have a tumour/ it’s my only other thought
My hunch is it's behavioural (though as I've said I am a novice). We'll see what the change of diet achieves for her.

We've had three hens since March. All was harmonious until a few weeks ago when one started plucking feathers off another one's back. The victim was moulting so I thought that was the problem, separated them for a couple of days (they could still see each other) then put them back and all was fine until a week later when the aggressor basically ate quite a lot of the victim's rump, reducing it to a bloody mess of raw meat. The victim has recovered and we've partitioned the run using a large fly-screen so the aggressor can see the other hens but not bite them. But she seems depressed, with her tail down and less activity than usual though her comb is a good colour and her eyes are bright. It's too risky to put her back with the others so I don't know what to do. Given that she's vicious I can't really offer her to anyone else. I'm afraid that although she can see the other two she is languishing.
I always remove the aggressor first as long as everyone else is getting along.
I pen her separately so she can see the flock. Most of the time it helps to change her attitude.

I pen her separately so she can see the flock. Most of the time it helps to change her attitude.
Yes, that's what we've done. I hope she'll adjust but she seems depressed, though better than yesterday. (Or perhaps she's remorseful!)

Yes, that's what we've done. I hope she'll adjust but she seems depressed, though better than yesterday. (Or perhaps she's remorseful!)
Oh, I misunderstood. I hope the issue resolves for you. No fun when there is trouble in chicken land.

I like the way everyone shares knowledge and experience here. It gives us new things to think about and try, esp if we run into troubles.

Back
Top Bottom