A diet type thing for a laying mallard?

brookealbin

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
My mallard has started laying and im not exactly sure if she should be getting some type of food instead of what im already feeding her which is 18% game bird feed. Is there something better I could feed her or some type of little food I can buy and give to her daily?

game bird feed shouldn’t be fed to any ducks, laying or not. i recommend feeding Purina Duck Pellets, because it’s okay for all ducks. and then offer oyster shells or egg shells on the side

My avian vet recommends a layer diet for laying birds, as birds producing eggs have different dietary needs aside from just calcium. She has explained to me that layer diets are more robust in many ways. Also offer free choice oyster shells.

I feed my laying ducks mazuri breeder, and my non laying duck mazuri maintenance. They do very well on it. Much better than when I fed them non specific poultry food. I highly recommend feeding duck food.

Gamebird feed can be fed to ducks, there nutritional needs are quite similar, besides the protein content, game birds tend to need more ducks, but if you found Gamebird feed that's only around 18% that should be fine.

Since Game Birds have similar niacin and calcium requirements as ducks you should be good there too, of course, extra supplementation of calcium in a separate dish is always a good idea too.

If you want to switch to a waterfowl feed, you could always go with Purina Flock Raiser, or All Flock Feed by Nutrena.

Back
Top Bottom