A Different Molting Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheSpiceGirls, Dec 15, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I have two hens, a Buff Orpington, who did a very slow molt. Never showed any bare spots and just seemed to drop a few feathers at a time. She's just finishing up.

And then I have a Jersey Giant who is doing the ugly molt thing. She started last week and has big bald patches on her. The run looks like a black down sleeping bag blew up. But I picked her up last night and she's covered in pin feathers so it won't be long before she's covered again.

My question is, if they molted this way this year, is that how they will molt throughout their lives? Will the BO always do the slow molt and the JG the fast/ugly molt? Or could they change how they molt?

I did leave out a few things which may also be a factor. I'm HIGHLY suspicious that both of these are stress induced molts. My hens are just 14 months old now and I really thought they wouldn't molt this first year. But the BO was bullied back in Sept. for a week while we were gone on vacation and the sitter over treated and the EE we had at the time, wouldn't let her eat. So she started molting just as we returned. The JG started her molt about 5 days after we put a peeper on her to keep her from pecking at the BO. She did NOT like the peeper and made that clear. She stood in the corner and sulked. I've since taken it off.

Just curious to hear what others have to say who have had chickens longer than me and have gone through multiple molts w/ the same chickens.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had birds go through multiple molts but not very often and some I couldn't really tell who was molting but there were sure a lot of feathers and others practically naked of feathers which did eventually fill in. I think you're right that stress can be a factor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by